Does Anybody Know How to Name the IUPAC of these Compounds

Then copy and paste it here.In summary, the person is asking for help with naming ethers and esters in complex molecules, and is wondering if the carboxylic acid takes priority in naming. They suggest using ACD/ChemSketch for visualizing the molecules.
Fractal314

Homework Statement

Does anyone know how to name these? I know how to name ethers when there is only one but these are just insane. IUPAC of course.

Homework Equations

1. O
||
CH3-CH2-O-CH=CH-CH-O-CH2-C-C-COOH
| ||
OH O

2. I O O
| || ||
O=C-C=C-CH2-CH-CH=CH-O-C-C-C-O-COOH
| | | ||
H OH OH O

The Attempt at a Solution

See I just don't know how to do multiple ethers here. And in the second one, is there an ester there or does the carboxylic acid take priority anyways?

Note: This can only be answered by people who can edit my post because for some reason the spaces do not show up properly when viewed. But if you go to edit this post it looks ok, so thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought they will look better as CODE, but it didn't work either.

Try to download ACD/ChemSketch - they have free version. You will be able to draw a molecule and export it as a picture.

with that!Hi there,

I am familiar with the IUPAC naming system for organic compounds. I can definitely help you with naming these compounds.

For the first compound, the correct IUPAC name is 2-ethoxy-3-(2-ethoxyethoxy)propanoic acid. Let's break it down:

- The main chain has 7 carbon atoms, so the prefix for this is "hept".
- The functional group is a carboxylic acid, which is indicated by the suffix "-oic acid".
- The first substituent is an ethyl group, so it is named as "ethoxy-" and attached to the second carbon atom of the main chain.
- The second substituent is a chain of two carbon atoms, attached to the third carbon atom of the main chain. This is an ethoxy group, so it is named as "ethoxy-" and the prefix for two is "di", making it "diethoxy-".
- The remaining four carbon atoms in the main chain are named as "propanoic acid".

For the second compound, the correct IUPAC name is (2Z,4E)-5-(2-ethoxyethoxy)-2,4-decadienoic acid. Let's break it down:

- The main chain has 10 carbon atoms, so the prefix for this is "dec".
- The functional group is a carboxylic acid, which is indicated by the suffix "-oic acid".
- The first substituent is a carboxylic acid, which takes priority over the alkene group. This is indicated by the prefix "carboxy-", making it "carboxy-".
- The alkene group has two double bonds, one at the second carbon atom and the other at the fourth carbon atom. This is indicated by the prefixes "2Z" and "4E".
- The second substituent is a chain of two carbon atoms, attached to the fifth carbon atom of the main chain. This is an ethoxy group, so it is named as "ethoxy-" and the prefix for two is "di", making it "diethoxy-".
- The remaining four carbon atoms in the main chain are named as "decadienoic acid".

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is IUPAC nomenclature?

IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) nomenclature is a systematic way of naming chemical compounds based on their molecular structure. It is used to create a consistent and unambiguous naming system for compounds.

2. Why is IUPAC nomenclature important?

IUPAC nomenclature is important because it allows scientists from different countries and languages to communicate about chemical compounds using a standardized naming system. It also helps to avoid confusion and errors in scientific research.

3. How do I name a compound using IUPAC nomenclature?

The first step in naming a compound using IUPAC nomenclature is to identify the type and number of atoms present in the molecule. Then, follow the specific naming rules for that type of compound, such as identifying the functional groups present and their location in the molecule. Finally, arrange the names in a specific order according to the IUPAC guidelines.

4. What are some common mistakes when naming compounds using IUPAC nomenclature?

Some common mistakes when naming compounds using IUPAC nomenclature include using incorrect prefixes, failing to include all necessary functional groups, and not following the proper order of naming. It is important to carefully follow the guidelines and double check the name for accuracy.

5. Are there exceptions to the IUPAC naming rules?

Yes, there are exceptions to the IUPAC naming rules for certain compounds. For example, some common compounds have retained their historical names, such as water (H2O) and ammonia (NH3). It is important to check for any exceptions when naming a compound using IUPAC nomenclature.