Difference Between Partial and Ordinary Differentials

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of differentials in calculus, specifically how they act as quantities and how the chain rule applies to them. The conversation also touches on the difference between partial derivatives and infinitesimals and their implications for understanding functions of multiple variables.
Pinu7
I have been wanting to ask this for a while.

In Calc I, I was introduced to differentials. It seemed like they act like quantities(please corrected me if I'm wrong). For example dx/dx=1. You can obtain this by differentiating x or by eliminating the dx in the numerator and denominator(I do not know why this worked).

What convinced me that differentials where quantities was the chain rule. dy/dx=(dy/du)(du/dx). The proof is a bit tough, but you will obtain the same result by eliminating the du.(I may be making a TREMENDOUS mathematical blunder here, but it seemes to work)

In Calc III, I was introduced to [tex]\partial[/tex]x and[tex]\partial[/tex]y. Obviously I found out that [tex]\partial[/tex]x[tex]\neq[/tex]dx or else the chain rule for multiple variables would not simplify to dz/du.

So, why are these two infinitesimals so different?

Physics news on Phys.org

No, you were not "introduced to [itex]\partial x[/itex] and [itex]\partial y[/itex] in Calc III. You were introduced to the partial derivatives [itex]\partial f/\partial x[/itex] and [itex]\partial f/\partial y[/itex]. There is no such thing as a "[itex]\partial x[/itex]".

One important reason is that the partial derivatives themselves just don't tell you enough about the function. If the derivative of a function of one variable exists at a point, then it is differentiable (and so continuous) at that point. A function of several variables can have all its partial derivatives at a point and still not be differentiable nor even continuous at that point.

Take f(x,y)= 0 if xy= 0, 1 otherwise. It is easy to show that [itex]\partial f/\partial x= \partial f/\partial y= 0[/itex] at (0,0) but f is not even continuous there.

Thanks, that cleared things up for me, HallsofIvy.

What is the difference between a partial differential and an ordinary differential?

A partial differential is a type of differential equation that involves multiple independent variables and partial derivatives. An ordinary differential equation, on the other hand, involves a single independent variable and ordinary derivatives.

How are partial differentials and ordinary differentials used in science?

Partial differentials are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model systems with multiple variables. Ordinary differentials are used to describe many physical phenomena, such as motion, population growth, and chemical reactions.

Can partial differentials be solved using the same methods as ordinary differentials?

No, partial differentials require specialized techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and Laplace transforms to solve. Ordinary differentials can often be solved using simpler methods, such as integration or substitution.

What is the physical interpretation of a partial differential?

A partial differential represents the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the others constant. This can be thought of as the sensitivity of the function to changes in that variable.

In what situations would you use a partial differential versus an ordinary differential?

Partial differentials are useful for modeling systems with multiple variables, such as heat transfer in a three-dimensional object. Ordinary differentials are used to describe simpler systems with only one independent variable, such as the motion of a single object. The choice of which type of differential to use depends on the complexity of the system being modeled.