GEM*STAR: Future of Green Energy Reactors?

In summary, experts are discussing the potential use of GEM*STAR (Green Energy Multiplier*Subcritical Technology for Alternative Reactors) for accelerator-driven subcritical reactors. While research has cooled down due to cost concerns and the possibility of nuclear waste transmutation in fast critical reactors, there is still interest in using laser-driven fusion for neutron production. However, using an electron beam for spallation is not feasible due to low neutron production.
sanman
So the latest thing I've seen being talked about is GEM*STAR (Green Energy Multiplier*Subcritical Technology for Alternative Reactors)

http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/04/molten-salt-based-accelerator-driven.html

They claim they are leveraging the ever improving efficiencies in producing neutrons, which will result in the viable application of accelerator-driven spallation for sub-critical reactors.

Are accelerator-driven reactors in our near future, and could they even be used for propulsion? Or will the 180 meters of LINAC remain unshrinkable?

Engineering news on Phys.org
We have been discussing something similar in the previous forum thread... see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=390161 (hybrid fusion fission reactor prospects)

The accelerator driven systems have also been considered in Europe, but using a cyclotron rather than a linac - needs less space! But research in the field has cooled down. It seems to be too expensive. In addition, nuclear waste transmutation could be done in fast critical reactors - without an accelerator!

In the previous forum thread, laser driven systems have been considered. The basic idea is that rather than the external neutrons being produced by (proton) spallation, they are produced by laser dirven fusion of D-T.

HotCells said:
The accelerator driven systems have also been considered in Europe,

Not really. There's http://myrrha.sckcen.be/" for instance, but also at SINQ if I remember well.

Last edited by a moderator:
But what's the most energy-efficient way to produce the supplementary neutrons? Laser-fusion or proton spallation? It's not clear to me which is the most energy efficient way, but it seems that energy efficiency should dictate the choice.

Is it possible to use electrons for spallation to generate the neutrons? I was just musing whether it might be useful to use some kind of nanotube cathode for extra precision and energy efficiency in producing the electron beam. I'm also thinking that an electron accelerator could be much more compact than a conventional linac or even a cyclotron.

A more compact accelerator could then allow for a more compact nuclear power generation system, which could perhaps then be used for space propulsion. I'm wondering if an accelerator-driven system could be combined with a particle-bed reactor design to produce high power output on demand, without danger of runaway reaction. The higher burnup fraction of particle-bed combined with the ability of ADS to burn up fission products might make for mutually beneficially complementarity.

Comments?

Last edited:
I'm not sure from where the electron beam idea originates, but an electron beam of energy similar to that of a proton beam is not going to drive a nuclear reaction.

sanman said:
But what's the most energy-efficient way to produce the supplementary neutrons? Laser-fusion or proton spallation? It's not clear to me which is the most energy efficient way, but it seems that energy efficiency should dictate the choice.

Is it possible to use electrons for spallation to generate the neutrons? I was just musing whether it might be useful to use some kind of nanotube cathode for extra precision and energy efficiency in producing the electron beam. I'm also thinking that an electron accelerator could be much more compact than a conventional linac or even a cyclotron.

Comments?

Electron spallation will not work. Even with high energy protons it is a problem to produce enough neutrons. 1 GeV protons for example will produce only around 30 neutrons per proton in a heavy spallation target. This is why the laser fusion approach for neutron production is interesting. The number of neutrons produced depends on the gain of the system. In principle very high gains can be obtained.

1. What is GEM*STAR and how does it work?

GEM*STAR stands for "Green Energy Miniature Small Modular Advanced Reactor" and it is a type of nuclear reactor that uses advanced technology to generate electricity from nuclear energy. It works by using a process called nuclear fission, where atoms of a specific element (usually uranium) split apart and release heat energy. This heat is then used to produce steam, which turns turbines and generates electricity.

2. What makes GEM*STAR different from other nuclear reactors?

GEM*STAR is different from other nuclear reactors because it is smaller in size and more modular. It is designed to be easily transportable and can be built in factories, making it more cost-effective and efficient. It also uses advanced technology, such as a high-temperature gas-cooled reactor and a closed fuel cycle, which increases safety and reduces waste.

3. Is GEM*STAR safe for the environment and the public?

Yes, GEM*STAR is designed with safety as a top priority. It uses advanced safety features, such as passive cooling systems and multiple barriers to prevent radioactive material from being released into the environment. It also produces significantly less nuclear waste compared to traditional reactors. Additionally, GEM*STAR is designed to be more resistant to natural disasters and human error.

4. How does GEM*STAR contribute to green energy?

GEM*STAR is considered a green energy source because it produces electricity without emitting harmful greenhouse gases. It also has a smaller environmental footprint compared to other forms of energy, such as coal or natural gas. Additionally, GEM*STAR can be used in conjunction with renewable energy sources, such as wind and solar, to provide a more stable and reliable energy supply.

5. What is the future of GEM*STAR and its impact on the energy industry?

The future of GEM*STAR is promising as it has the potential to revolutionize the energy industry. Its smaller size and modular design make it more accessible and cost-effective for countries that do not have large infrastructures for traditional nuclear power plants. It also has the potential to provide a reliable and clean source of energy for remote and off-grid areas. Additionally, the advanced technology used in GEM*STAR could pave the way for more innovative and efficient nuclear reactors in the future.