Calculating Secondary Amps in Step Up Transformer Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a step-up transformer and how to calculate the current in the secondary compared to the primary given the voltage and efficiency. The formula for electrical power in terms of voltage and current is mentioned, and it is clarified that the question only asks for the ratio of the currents, not the actual current. The formula Vs/Vp=Ip/Is is determined to be the solution to the problem.
sp1974
I am having a problem with the following problem: A step-up transformer increases 10V to 170V. What is the current in Amperes in the secondary as compared to the primary? Assume 100% effiiency.

The only formula I can see that has Amps in it is the turn ration I(secondary)/I(primary)=N(primary)/N(secondary)

How can I solve without the number of turns? I know 170V/10V=N(secondary)/N(primary)

Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
100% efficiency means no energy/power loss.
Do you know a formula for electrical power that involves V and I?

Ohm's Law?

Power in must equal power out. Use the equations for power when you know voltage and current.

All I know is the Voltage and that there is no power loss... I am looking for current

How about today? Can anyone offer some helpful hints to point me in the right direction?

The question asks
What is the current in Amperes in the secondary as compared to the primary?
You are not asked to find the actual current, just how it compares. So the ratio of the current in the secondary to that in the primary will be fine.
You need the formula for electrical power in terms of V and I, as has been mentioned.
It's not Ohm's Law.
You must have notes or a book with this in, as it's fundamental to this topic.

Yes I realize that now. I was over thinking the problem. It would be Vs/Vp=Ip/Is I believe. At least I know it would be 10/170 = .058A

Thanks for coming back to clearify for me.

1. How do I calculate the secondary amps in a step-up transformer problem?

The formula for calculating secondary amps in a step-up transformer is: Secondary Amps = Primary Amps x (Secondary Voltage / Primary Voltage). This formula is based on the principle of conservation of energy, where the product of voltage and current remains constant in a transformer.

2. What is the primary voltage and secondary voltage in a step-up transformer?

The primary voltage is the input voltage of the transformer, while the secondary voltage is the output voltage. In a step-up transformer, the secondary voltage is higher than the primary voltage, resulting in an increase in voltage.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating secondary amps in a step-up transformer with different turns ratio?

Yes, the formula for calculating secondary amps in a step-up transformer remains the same regardless of the turns ratio. The turns ratio only affects the secondary voltage, which is used in the formula.

4. What are the factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated secondary amps in a step-up transformer?

The accuracy of the calculated secondary amps can be affected by factors such as resistance losses, leakage inductance, and core losses. These factors can cause a difference between the calculated and actual secondary amps.

5. How can I check the accuracy of my calculated secondary amps in a step-up transformer?

You can check the accuracy of your calculated secondary amps by measuring the actual secondary amps using an ammeter. If there is a significant difference between the calculated and actual values, you may need to account for the aforementioned factors that can affect accuracy.