Foucault Pendulum: Proving Mach's Conjecture?

In summary, the discussion revolves around the philosophical question of whether the Foucault pendulum is guided to maintain its orientation with respect to the fixed stars, or if this can be explained by the phenomenon of inertia. This relates to the broader debate of whether science should limit itself to describing nature or make assumptions about the universe as a whole. While Ernst Mach argued for the former, physicists continue to speculate about this in the framework of General Relativity. Whether the fixed stars can be considered an absolute frame of reference is also brought up.
GRB 080319B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aMxLVDuf4VY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aMxLVDuf4VY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

At approximately 2:32 in the above video, the professor discusses what rotation the Foucault pendulum is sensitive to, and brings up a conjecture by Ernst Mach, stating "The Foucault pendulum is measuring rotation relative to the universe as a whole." I was wondering if there have been any recent developments/discoveries with regards to the Foucault pendulum that would substantiate this conjecture, or if this is a purely metaphysical conjecture?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
GRB 080319B said:
At approximately 2:32 in the above video, the professor discusses what rotation the Foucault pendulum is sensitive to, and brings up a conjecture by Ernst Mach, stating "The Foucault pendulum is measuring rotation relative to the universe as a whole." I was wondering if there have been any recent developments/discoveries with regards to the Foucault pendulum that would substantiate this conjecture, or if this is a purely metaphysical conjecture?

First, it's a misattribution; Ernst Mach did not make any statement in such a direction, he was against doing so.

What Ernst Mach did was argue that science should limit itself to description of Nature. According to Mach physics should not assume anything. According to Mach the only task was do find the most economic representation that reproduces the observation.

To illustrate how extreme Mach's philosophy of physics was: by the time most scientists were convinced of the existence of atoms Mach argued that there was no hard evidence for the existence of atoms, and therefore science ought to be uncommitted as to whether atoms exist. That is, all of Mach's contemporaries decided that the available circumstantial evidence for the existence of atoms was sufficient, but Mach argued that only hard evidence was enough, and circumstantial evidence required some level of assumption.

In the case of Newtonian mechanics Mach argued as follows:
We observe that if we describe all motion as motion with respect to the fixed stars then the laws of motion take a simple form. (By contrast: if you were to use, say, a geocentric model for the motion of celestial bodies then you end up with desperately complicated laws of motion.)

Ernst Mach prescribed as follows:
The reason to use the fixed stars as reference for all motion is that then the laws of motion have the simplest form possible. We should not speculate why the laws of motion take their simplest form in that case; such speculation is beyond the scope of proper science. (As I said, Mach's philosophy of science was extreme, and he hasn't been followed.)

The observation is that the plane of swing of a pendulum remains pointing in the same direction. I noticed a video made by some Airbus engineers with a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToUCXRnlfog". As the airplane turns the pendulum swing keeps pointing in the same direction

The pendulum plane of swing is unaffected by the bulk of the airplane. The philosophical question is: is the pendulum bob in some sense guided to keep its orientation with respect to the fixed stars? If so, is that guidance supplied locally, or is there some physical connection with the Universe as a whole? As I said, Mach argued that such speculation is not science.

Physicists do like to speculate about that and the framework for doing so is General Relativity.

Cleonis said:
In the case of Newtonian mechanics Mach argued as follows:
We observe that if we describe all motion as motion with respect to the fixed stars then the laws of motion take a simple form. (By contrast: if you were to use, say, a geocentric model for the motion of celestial bodies then you end up with desperately complicated laws of motion.)

Ernst Mach prescribed as follows:
The reason to use the fixed stars as reference for all motion is that then the laws of motion have the simplest form possible. We should not speculate why the laws of motion take their simplest form in that case; such speculation is beyond the scope of proper science. (As I said, Mach's philosophy of science was extreme, and he hasn't been followed.)

I don't understand what with respect to the fixed stars means, or how this infers the simplest form of the laws of motion. Is motion with respect to the fixed stars analogous to motion with respect to an absolute frame of reference?

Cleonis said:
The observation is that the plane of swing of a pendulum remains pointing in the same direction. I noticed a video made by some Airbus engineers with a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToUCXRnlfog". As the airplane turns the pendulum swing keeps pointing in the same direction

The pendulum plane of swing is unaffected by the bulk of the airplane. The philosophical question is: is the pendulum bob in some sense guided to keep its orientation with respect to the fixed stars? If so, is that guidance supplied locally, or is there some physical connection with the Universe as a whole?

Why does the pendulum have to be guided to maintain its orientation? Why can't it maintain its plane of swing in space simply because of the inertia of the system?

GRB 080319B said:
I don't understand what with respect to the fixed stars means, or how this infers the simplest form of the laws of motion. Is motion with respect to the fixed stars analogous to motion with respect to an absolute frame of reference?

Confirmed.
If the existence of an absolute frame of reference is assumed then it is assumed that the fixed stars are stationary with respect to that absolute frame of reference.

GRB 080319B said:
Why does the pendulum have to be guided to maintain its orientation? Why can't it maintain its plane of swing in space simply because of the inertia of the system?

Ultimately, the phenomenon inertia must be seen as acting as guidance for motion.

I mean, if inertia would be non-existent then all motion would be entirely erratic. What we observe is that motion is not erratic, one of the properties of motion is that when no force acts objects travel in straight lines. We attribute that property to the existence of inertia.

As seen from this point of view inertia is not a property of individual objects. As seen from this point of view inertia is a property of the very fabric of the universe. I don't use the expression 'inertia of the system'. I refer to the momentum of the system if I want to talk about the motion of a particular system.

When I talk about inertia then I am referring to an always and everywhere property of the universe.

It may be that in your mind no such thing as "fabric of the Universe" exists. In other words, it may be that we interpret motion entirely differently.

1. What is a Foucault Pendulum?

A Foucault Pendulum is a device used to demonstrate the rotation of the Earth. It consists of a long pendulum with a heavy weight at the end that swings back and forth in a fixed plane. As the Earth rotates underneath it, the pendulum appears to change direction, proving the Earth's rotation.

2. Who discovered the Foucault Pendulum?

The Foucault Pendulum was invented by French physicist Léon Foucault in 1851. He was inspired by the work of Austrian physicist Ernst Mach and used the pendulum to prove Mach's conjecture about the rotation of the Earth.

3. How does the Foucault Pendulum prove Mach's Conjecture?

Mach's Conjecture states that the rotation of the Earth affects physical objects on its surface. By observing the movement of the pendulum, we can see that it appears to change direction as the Earth rotates underneath it, providing evidence for Mach's Conjecture.

4. Is the Foucault Pendulum affected by other factors besides the Earth's rotation?

Yes, the Foucault Pendulum can be affected by other factors such as air resistance and the pendulum's initial movement. To minimize these effects, the pendulum is usually located in a vacuum chamber and given a strong initial push to ensure a continuous swing.

5. Can the Foucault Pendulum be used to prove the Earth's rotation at any location on the planet?

Yes, the Foucault Pendulum will demonstrate the Earth's rotation at any location on the planet. However, the rotation speed and direction may vary depending on the latitude of the location due to the Earth's shape and rotation axis.