Charging 12V Batteries: Solar Panel and Electric Motor Q&A

In summary: Also, the motor will act as a brake when it is not being rotated, so it is important to disconnect the battery when the motor is not being rotated.In summary, it is not recommended to use a 9 watt solar panel to directly charge a 12v battery without a circuit in between to regulate the charging voltage. A boost-buck or Sepic DC-DC converter would be a suitable option. It is also possible to use a 24v electric motor as a generator to charge a 12v battery, but a diode is necessary to prevent the battery from discharging into the motor and damaging it. It is also important to disconnect the battery when the motor is not being rotated to avoid it acting as a brake.
Clive_
Hi,

I have some questions please...

Can I use a 9 watt solar panel to charge a 12v battery directly? Do I need a rectifier or is the loss back into the solar panel too small to worry about?

Also, can I use a 24v electric motor (permanent magnet generator) to charge a 12v battery - or is it likely to cause damage to the battery?

Thanks,

Clive.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Clive_ said:
Hi,

I have some questions please...

Can I use a 9 watt solar panel to charge a 12v battery directly? Do I need a rectifier or is the loss back into the solar panel too small to worry about?

Also, can I use a 24v electric motor (permanent magnet generator) to charge a 12v battery - or is it likely to cause damage to the battery?

Thanks,

Clive.

What is the output voltage range for your solar panel?

Hi,

The solar panel is 12v 9w rating. Though the meter shows 20v in good conditions (and between 2-6amps)

Clive.

Clive_ said:
Hi,

The solar panel is 12v 9w rating. Though the meter shows 20v in good conditions (and between 2-6amps)

Clive.

So the answer is no, you shouldn't use the output of the solar panel to directly try to recharge a 12V battery. You should put a circuit between the solar panel and the battery to ensure that the charging voltage is the best possible (and safe) for the battery.

A boost-buck or Sepic DC-DC converter circuit would be a good fit for this job. You can learn more about them on wikipedia.org, or from most switching power supply books.

The open circuit voltage gets up to 20 volts in bright sunlight, so it is capable of charging a 12 volt battery. The voltage will drop to near the battery voltage when the two are connected.

You will need a diode between the two (with the cathode connected to the battery and the anode connected to the solar panel) so that the battery does not discharge into the solar panel at night.

Then, you will need to time the charging to ensure the battery is not overcharged. Put a current meter in series with the diode to check the charging current. Then divide the Amp-hour rating of the battery by this charging current to get the time it would take to fully charge this battery if it is not being used. If it is being used, there may be no need for this.

If you have a cheap way of rotating the motor, you can use it as a generator and it will give a bit less than 24 volts out at the rated RPM. You would need to limit the current with a suitable resistor. A 24 volt auto lamp between the generator and the battery would be OK for this.
And, as above, you would need a diode from the motor/generator to the battery. This is so that the battery doesn't try to drive the motor as a motor when the rotation is removed.

1. How do solar panels charge 12V batteries?

Solar panels use photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into electricity. The electricity is then regulated and stored in the 12V battery through a charge controller.

2. Can I charge a 12V battery with an electric motor?

Yes, it is possible to use an electric motor to charge a 12V battery. However, the process can be less efficient compared to using a solar panel and may require additional components such as a voltage regulator.

3. How long does it take to charge a 12V battery with a solar panel?

The charging time will depend on the size and efficiency of the solar panel, the amount of sunlight available, and the state of the battery. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-10 hours to fully charge a 12V battery with a solar panel.

4. Can I use a 24V solar panel to charge a 12V battery?

Yes, you can use a 24V solar panel to charge a 12V battery. However, you will need a charge controller to regulate the voltage and prevent overcharging.

5. Can I charge multiple 12V batteries with one solar panel?

It is possible to charge multiple 12V batteries with one solar panel, but it will depend on the size and output of the panel. You may also need to use a charge controller to ensure that the batteries are charged evenly.