Explaining Difference in pH Values of Hydrocloric & Ethanoic Acids

In summary, hydrochloric acid is more susceptible to losing its proton to solution, while ethanoic acid does not. Hydrochloric acid has a higher concentration of free H+ than ethanoic acid solution of the same initial concentration.
Jack16
Hello People,
I am a new member and i really think this forum is very helpful...
I got a question...
The pH values of 0.100moldm-3 solutions of hydrocloric acid and ethanoic acid are 1 and aproximately 3 respectively. Explain the difference.

Thanks already...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi Jack,

I suppose that your question is: why are different values of pH if both of them are monoprotic acids in the same concentration? rigth?

Well, they simply have different pKas. Both of them are monoprotic acids (they only have one acid hydrogen) but hydrocloric acid is more susceptible of "loosing" it´s acid proton H+. So a solution of hydrocloric acid wolud have bigger concentration of free H+ than an ethanoic acid solution of the same initial concentration. Then the pH of hydrocloric acid solution would be lower.

The reason of why some acids are stronger than others is the molecular structure, it dictates the "easyness" of loosing the proton. When a molecule looses an acid proton it transforms in a negative ion. If the stability of that ion is enhanced by that concrete molecular structure we say that the substance is a strong acid (it looses easily that proton).

Hello

Altered-gravity is right. Even very powerful monoprotic acids like HNO3 and HCl have very slight differences in terms of losing proton to solution, but it is very small, so we can omit it and call both as very powerful acids with 100% ionization in nearly all cases (for aqueous systems).

I want to add something to what Altered-gravity said: the less the overall electronegativity of the atom binding hydrogen decreases, the faster the hydrogen is lost. For example, alcohols (alkyl-OH) are weaker acids than thiols (alkyl-SH). HCl is essentially a gas, and used as aqueous solutions by passing this gas from water. Water molecules make hydrogen bonding with chlorine atom by Cl...H bonds, so the overall electronegativity decreases a bit. You may conclude that HCl solution prepared with aprotic solvents having a low dielectric constant has a lower acidity than that with protic, high dielectric-constant-showing solvents. I think this assumption is not wrong.

For acetic acid, the proton is not that free to be lost to water; it is strongly bonded by two very electronegative oxygen atoms. The electronegativity of oxygen is even stronger due to the positive inductive effect of the alkyl group. But when you substitute some hydrogens with electronegative atoms such as chlorine, the acidity increases due to decreasing overall electronegativity of oxygens. But there is a lucky thing that acetic acid molecules prefer to occur as dimers in solution; it makes dissociation easier. So the difference is not very high, higher homologs of acetic acid have very low dissociation constants and it even becomes impossible for them to be dissolved in water for some members.

I hope I did not cause any confusion; for most reasons, Altered-gravity's answer is sufficient. But if you wonder it very much, you will have to go into more detail, mine may help you then.

Regards
chem_tr

Thanks altered gravity your answer really helped ,although I am turkish too chem_tr:) your answer caused me some confusion but after i read it more carefully i could understand it .Thanks Guys !

1. What is the difference between hydrochloric acid and ethanoic acid?

Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is a strong acid with a pH of 0, while ethanoic acid (CH3COOH) is a weak acid with a pH of around 3. This means that HCl completely dissociates in water, while CH3COOH only partially dissociates.

2. Why do hydrochloric acid and ethanoic acid have different pH values?

The difference in pH values is due to the differences in chemical structure and strength of the acids. HCl has a stronger bond between hydrogen and chlorine atoms, making it easier for the hydrogen to dissociate and lower the pH. Ethanoic acid has a weaker bond between hydrogen and carbon atoms, making it more difficult for the hydrogen to dissociate and resulting in a higher pH.

3. What is the significance of pH in hydrochloric acid and ethanoic acid?

pH is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution. In hydrochloric acid and ethanoic acid, pH is important because it reflects the strength and reactivity of the acids. A lower pH indicates a higher concentration of hydrogen ions and a more acidic solution.

4. How do hydrochloric acid and ethanoic acid affect the environment?

Hydrochloric acid is a strong acid and can be corrosive to materials and harmful to living organisms. It is commonly used in industrial processes and can contribute to acid rain. Ethanoic acid is a weaker acid and is often found in natural sources, such as vinegar, where it is not harmful to the environment.

5. Can the pH values of hydrochloric acid and ethanoic acid change?

Yes, the pH values of both hydrochloric acid and ethanoic acid can change depending on the concentration and dilution of the acids. In addition, both acids can react with other substances, such as bases, which can also affect their pH values.