Mixed states and pure states: what's the difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a mixed state, a superposition, and a pure state. The notes define a qubit system with kets |0> and |1> and introduce the state |+> as a "pure state". However, it is actually a superposition of |0> and |1>, which can be seen when using the basis { |+>, |-> }. The density operator for |+> is a statistical mixture of |0> and |1>, which is called a "mixed state". The conversation also clarifies that a state is considered pure if its density matrix has the property rho^2 = rho or Trace(rho^2) = 1.
jeebs
Hi,
this is probably a straightforward question over something simple but it's confusing me. I don't get what the difference is between a mixed state, a superposition and a pure state. I'm looking through my notes about density operators and it's talking about a qubit system where [tex] |0> = \left(\begin{array}{c}1&0\end{array}\right) [/tex] and [tex] |1> = \left(\begin{array}{c}0&1\end{array}\right) [/tex].

It then goes on to talk about the system being in state [tex] |+> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|0> + |1>) [/tex], but it calls it a "pure state". This does not look pure to me, I would have called |0> and |1> the pure states, and |+> superposition of the two.

Using the basis { |+>, |-> }, where [tex] |-> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|0> - |1>) [/tex], the density operator can be found: [tex] \rho = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&0\end{array}\right) [/tex].
The notes say that "the statistical mixture of pure states giving rise to the density operator is called a mixed state". |+> certainly looked like a statistical mixture of |0> and |1> to me. Is there a difference between a mixed state and a superposition?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're confusing "pure" with "basis". All states that can be named with a ket from that Hilbert space are pure.

In the (0,1) basis, that ket has density matrix
[tex]\left( \begin{matrix} 1/2 & 1/2 \\ 1/2 & 1/2 \end{matrix} \right)[/tex]

An equally weighted statistical mixture of |0> and |1> would have density matrix
[tex]\left( \begin{matrix} 1/2 & 0 \\ 0 & 1/2 \end{matrix} \right)[/tex]

Note that a state is a pure state if and only if the density matrix is such that rho^2 = rho. In Hurkyl's examples, note that the first density matrix of the superposition has the property that rho^2 = rho, but for the second one, rho^2 is not equal to rho. Alternatively, we can say that it is a pure state if and only if Trace(rho^2) = 1.

1. What is the difference between mixed states and pure states?

Mixed states and pure states are two different types of physical systems in quantum mechanics. A pure state is a system that is described by a single wave function, while a mixed state is a combination of multiple pure states. In other words, a pure state is a state with definite properties, while a mixed state is a combination of different possible states with different probabilities.

2. How are mixed states and pure states represented mathematically?

In quantum mechanics, both mixed states and pure states are represented by a mathematical object called a density matrix. A density matrix is a square matrix that contains information about the probabilities of different states in a system. For a pure state, the density matrix is a projection operator, while for a mixed state, the density matrix is a sum of projection operators.

3. Can a pure state become a mixed state and vice versa?

Yes, a pure state can become a mixed state when it interacts with other systems or its environment. This interaction causes the pure state to lose its definite properties and become a combination of different states with different probabilities. On the other hand, a mixed state can also become a pure state if the system is isolated from its environment and undergoes a process called quantum decoherence.

4. What is the significance of mixed states in quantum mechanics?

Mixed states are important in quantum mechanics because they represent realistic physical systems that are subject to measurement and interactions. While pure states are idealized mathematical constructs, mixed states are more relevant for real-world applications and can accurately describe the behavior of physical systems.

5. Are there any real-world examples of mixed states?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of mixed states. For instance, a polarized photon can be represented as a pure state, but when it passes through a polarizing filter, it becomes a mixed state due to the different possible outcomes of the measurement. Another example is a quantum computer, where the qubits are typically in a mixed state until a measurement is made, collapsing them into a pure state.