This should be an easy one units in Pressure formula

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the relationship between pressure and temperature of a gas. The relevant equation given is P = 0.0034T + 0.9517, where 0.0034 is the slope and 0.9517 is the y-intercept. The units for pressure and temperature are kPa and Celsius, respectively. The individual providing assistance clarifies that the units for the slope are kPa/°C and the y-intercept is 0.9517 kPa.
trunksbomb

Homework Statement

A problem about pressure vs. temperature of a gas. Details not necessary since I'm just looking for specific help (see "Relevant equations").

Homework Equations

P = 0.0034T + 0.9517

This is the equation that I'm given, which is the slope of the line plotting pressure vs temperature. The 0.0034 is the slope and the 0.9517 is the Y-intercept. Finding the units isn't what he's looking for, but I need to know the units in order to do my calculations and show my work properly.

The Attempt at a Solution

Pressure is given in kPa, and Temperature in Celsius.

My idea was that the unit of 0.9517 was kPa, and the unit for 0.0034 was kPa/degrees Celsius, so that the 1/Celsius of that and the Celsius of the temperature would cancel out, leaving only kPa on both numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct. If you were told that P is in kPa and T is in °C, then it's kPa/°C for the slope, and 0.9517 kPa.

p.s. Welcome to Physics Forums.

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure?

The formula for pressure is pressure = force / area, where force is measured in newtons (N) and area is measured in square meters (m2).

2. What are the SI units for pressure?

The SI units for pressure are pascal (Pa), which is equivalent to one newton per square meter (N/m2).

3. How do I convert pressure units?

To convert pressure units, you can use the following conversion factors:

• 1 atm = 101,325 Pa
  • 1 bar = 100,000 Pa
  • 1 psi = 6,894.76 Pa

Simply multiply the pressure in one unit by the conversion factor to get the equivalent pressure in another unit.

4. Can pressure be negative?

Yes, pressure can be negative. Negative pressure, also known as vacuum, occurs when the force exerted on a surface is in the opposite direction of the normal force (usually atmospheric pressure). This can happen in situations where the pressure inside a closed container is lower than the pressure outside.

5. How is pressure measured?

Pressure can be measured using a variety of instruments, including manometers, barometers, and pressure gauges. These instruments typically use a column of liquid or a spring to measure the force exerted by a gas or fluid. The pressure can then be calculated using the formula pressure = force / area.