IP configuration? how 2 do manually

In summary: IPs and you are working through DHCP then this prolly has 2 possible reasons. ... 1> its pure coincidence that u are getting same IPs or 2> ur ISP has configured his server at his place to provide u with the same IP. ... in either case, if this is what you want, you will have to talk to ur ISP about getting a static IP.
mathzeroh
does anyone noe how to configure ur ip address manually via the local area connection (lan) properties?

i can change it but so can anyone but how do u make one that works? that's my problem, can anyone help? i have a static connection with a cable company, and my ip is assigned by the dhcp (what is that) so can i manually configure it effectively? do u just mess around with the numbers until u get one or is there trick or specif rule or anything to it??

wut can u put under the actual ip address box, the subnet mask, the default gateway, preferred dns server, alternate dns server??

thx4 the help!

also if u wait until ur "lease" expires and u turn off ur modem at that point in time, dissallowing ur modem to renew ur current lease with that specific ip address, can u get a new one? any help appreciated

Computer science news on Phys.org
static connection through a dhcp??
u sure ??
dhcp is dynamic host configuration protocol
usually used for dynamic IP

do u have a static IP or dynamic IP?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
if its a static IP then ...
what do u need to actually configure the network??
Ans :
1> your IP address (ask ur ISP if u don't have it)
should be something like 10.76.9.12 or 192.168.6.43 or something like that
2> a subnet mask (ask ur ISP if u don't have it)
should be something like 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.128.0 or something like that
3> a gateway address (ask ur ISP if u don't have it)
should be something like 10.76.9.1 or 192.168.6.1 or something like that
4> a dns address (ask ur ISP if u don't have it)
should be something like 10.76.67.131 or something like that

**alternate dns is not required but if ur ISP provides it then well and good**
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If its a dynamic IP then ...
u don't have to almost do anything just click on
Obtain IP address automatically and forget it

also if u wait until ur "lease" expires and u turn off ur modem at that point in time, dissallowing ur modem to renew ur current lease with that specific ip address, can u get a new one? any help appreciated

if ur current IP address is not assigned to someone else by ur ISP then u prolly will have ur old IP address unless u demand it to be changed ... some ISP give that facility
(Note whatever i said was with respect static IP)

-- AI

Could you tell us what you are trying to accomplish? If its working, its best to leave it alone. Dynamic IP with a long lease is still dynamic and eventually will change.

first off thanks for the replies.

to tenaliraman: i was under the impression that a static ip is one that doesn't change, and mine's hasn't changed for a while. so i thought i might have a static ip. but u have recognized something, dynamic ip's are temporary, right? so does that mean that i have a dynamic ip that renews under the lease thus leaving me with the same ip as before? is that what's happening? :bugeye: :uhh:

if ur current IP address is not assigned to someone else by ur ISP then u prolly will have ur old IP address unless u demand it to be changed ... some ISP give that facility
(Note whatever i said was with respect static IP)
so if let's say i turn the cable modem off and unplug the cable cord from the modem let's say five minutes before my ip lease expires, and i plug it all back in and hook everything up let's say the next morning at around 7-8 am in the morning, would it change? do you think it would? :confused:

Could you tell us what you are trying to accomplish? If its working, its best to leave it alone. Dynamic IP with a long lease is still dynamic and eventually will change.
ur right, it is working and all but i just wanted to understand/test how and when it would change. :smile: are you able to help me? :smile:

mathzeroh,
if u are getting the same IP and u r working through DHCP then this prolly has 2 possible reasons
1> its pure coincidence that u are getting same IPs or
2> its how ur ISP has configured his server at his place

U see in a DHCP, there is a first stage of remote login where a computer connects itself to a remote ISP computer. At this stage the user computer is provided with an IP by the ISP ...

so it is entirely in the hands of the ISP server with regards to what IP u get ... it is possible for him to allocate the same IP to u whenever u login ... so that may be the case ...

ofcourse as i said above , it may be pure coincidence (chance tho of this happening are less).

-- AI

mathzeroh said:
...i just wanted to understand/test how and when it would change. :smile: are you able to help me? :smile:
Probably not. For this reason:
so it is entirely in the hands of the ISP server with regards to what IP u get
It really is tough to know what they are up to.

ooohhhhhhhhh i c

thank u both for the help :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

however i will try my idea on the 8th and let u noe how it turned out and what happened. :wink: :wink: :smile: hopefully my hypothesis is correct. :cool: :wink: :smile:

It most likely will not change on the 8th. Most cable providing ISPs will have your IP address tied to the MAC address of your cable modem. (every time your ISP sees a your MAC address it will allocate a reserved IP schema for it)

If on an analog modem or DSL connection you would see the change of your IP quite often.

Not to be anal here or anything but...

Originally Posted by TenaliRaman
1 your IP address (ask ur ISP if u don't have it)
should be something like 10.76.9.12 or 192.168.6.43 or something like that...

10.x.y.z, and 192.x.y.z are private networks. No ISP will assign this kind of address from their DHCP servers because it is a bogus, non-valid address. Routers with NAT capability will assign this type of address and the translate it to the public address on the WAN side of the router.

Originally Posted by mathzeroh
ur right, it is working and all but i just wanted to understand/test how and when it would change. are you able to help me?

IP = 4 octets... left set of octets designates the network address and right side octets designates host address. Any host on the same network can communicate to another host on that network without a gateway/router. If 2 hosts are on separate networks they will need a router/gateway to communicate to each other.

Subnet Mask = this was invented to create more network addresses by sacrificing host addresses. We can go into detail about this if you are interested.

Default Gateway = This will be the address the closest router on your network. The router will have the ability to communicate with external networks.

DNS = This is like a phone book. But instead of translating people's names into telephone numbers, it translates Website names into IP address...so when you type into your browser www.physicsforums.com[/url] your computer will ask your assigned DNS server what the IP of that site is and the DNS server will respond saying "216.220.25.17" and then your browser will contact [url]www.physicsforums.com[/URL]

HTH,

Last edited by a moderator:
One small addition I wanted to make that I don't think was brought up. First, I agree that most cable providers nowadays will tie your IP schema to a MAC address. This is to prevent someone from hooking all 10 of their LAN PC's to 10 IP's in the DHCP pool without paying for them.

Dynamic IP's in theory CAN change. your computer automatically grabs an IP address from a predetermined range of IP addresses called a DHCP pool, on the DHCP server. This might be something like 24.1.45.1 to 24.1.45.255 or something along those lines. A DHCP address lasts for 7 days typically, then requeries the DHCP server to see if that IP address is still valid. If it is, it will keep the same IP address. If not, it grabs another one. If you manually release and renew right away, it will typically grab the same one because it's still available. However, let's say you released then didn't renew your IP for like a month. During that timeframe your IP is in the "available" list, and might be grabbed by another PC. If that happens, then you'll get another IP. But any short releasing of the IP grabs the same one. That is why you always retain the same IP address when you're DHCP.

1. What is IP configuration?

IP configuration refers to the process of assigning a unique numerical address, called an IP address, to a device connected to a network. This allows the device to communicate with other devices on the network.

2. Why do I need to configure my IP address?

Configuring an IP address is necessary for a device to communicate with other devices on a network. Without a unique IP address, a device would not be able to send or receive data on the network.

3. How do I find my IP address?

To find your IP address, you can open the command prompt (for Windows) or terminal (for Mac) and type in the command "ipconfig" or "ifconfig". Your IP address will be listed under "IPv4 Address" or "inet" for Mac.

4. Can I configure my IP address manually?

Yes, you can configure your IP address manually by accessing the network settings on your device. From there, you can enter a specific IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway to configure your network settings.

5. What is the difference between dynamic and static IP configuration?

A dynamic IP configuration means that your device's IP address is assigned automatically by a DHCP server. A static IP configuration means that you manually assign a specific IP address to your device. Static IP addresses are typically used for servers or devices that need a consistent IP address for remote access.