Fashion Dilemma: Button Up With Bow Tie and Suspenders or Bow Tie and Sweater Vest?

• Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
In summary, a button up with a bow tie and suspenders is nerdier than a button up with a bow tie and sweater vest.
ƒ(x)
I was voted most academic (essentially most nerdy) and have to dress up for tomorrow. What's nerdier, a button up with a bow tie and suspenders or a button up with a bow tie and sweater vest? If it's the latter I have to run out and get a vest.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd do them both. Suspenders on underneath, halfway through you whip the top off and you're properly nerding it up!

ƒ(x) said:
I was voted most academic (essentially most nerdy) and have to dress up for tomorrow. What's nerdier, a button up with a bow tie and suspenders or a button up with a bow tie and sweater vest? If it's the latter I have to run out and get a vest.

Since you have already won the most academic award and already own suspenders, I would say go with suspenders. :smile: Whenever I think nerdy I think of this http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=X&ei=ZW0mTZOJA4a0sAPj0MnZAw&ved=0CB8Q9QEwBA" Looks like he wears both.

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
With the suspenders over the vest...ahahah...
Ooh! You're evil!

I don't know if nerd glasses make you look nerd but they are awesome!

[URL]http://cdn1.lookbook.nu/files/looks/medium/143450_klipp3_1_.jpg?1235583423[/URL]

[PLAIN]http://img.buzznet.com/assets/imgx/7/5/6/8/2/8/1/orig-7568281.jpg [Broken]

Don't neglect to consider the "scruffy physicist" look. You'd need to get some hair to stick up in the front (from spending hours leaning over your desk with your forehead in your hand, trying to figure out a problem).

Aww! I thought it was a real dress. :frown:

Thanks for all the feedback :) unfortutely the store closed several hours ago, so I'm just going to rock the suspenders. I wish I had though of wearing a vest under them though...but then I wouldn't have a pocket to protect.

f(x) your name is awesome
epic_smiley_display.png

White shirt, bow-tie, either jeans or kakis pulled up over your stomache held up with both a belt and suspenders. A pocket protector, with a slide rule hanging from your belt, chuck taylor high tops and white socks.

A little tape on your glasses never hurts and make sure you either slick down your hair completely or make it a complete mess.

I was going to suggest ironing the SM Lagrangian Density on a white shirt but you probably don't have enough time. Anyways, what you have now is perfect.

All you need is a calculator in your front shirt pocket, glasses with scotch tape holding them
together, a pencil in the groove of your ear, a few envelopes with scribbles on the back of
them periodically falling out of your pocket when everyone is looking & you're golden :cool:
A t-shirt with Maxwell's equations wouldn't go amiss either :wink:

1. What is the difference between wearing a bow tie with suspenders versus a sweater vest?

The main difference between these two fashion choices is the level of formality. Bow ties with suspenders are typically seen as a more casual and playful option, while a bow tie with a sweater vest is considered more formal and traditional.

2. Can I mix and match between bow ties, suspenders, and sweater vests?

Yes, you can certainly mix and match these pieces to create your own unique look. However, it's important to consider the overall aesthetic and make sure the pieces complement one another.

3. Are there any rules for wearing a bow tie with suspenders or a sweater vest?

There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to fashion, but it's generally recommended to stick to one statement piece at a time. For example, if you're wearing a bold patterned bow tie, keep the rest of your outfit more subtle and vice versa.

4. Which option is more appropriate for a formal event?

If the event is truly formal, it's best to go with a bow tie and sweater vest. However, if the event is semi-formal or has a more playful vibe, a bow tie with suspenders can still be a great choice.

5. Can I wear a bow tie with a suit instead of a traditional necktie?

Absolutely! Bow ties are a fun and stylish alternative to traditional neckties and can add a touch of personality to a classic suit. Just make sure the bow tie is well proportioned and complements the color and style of your suit.