Finding Maximum Area of Inscribed Rectangle in a Triangle Using Differentiation

In summary, the conversation is about a calculus question regarding finding the maximum area of a rectangle inscribed within a triangle. The person is looking for help in setting up the equation and taking the derivative. They are advised to start by drawing a picture and finding the relationship between the sides of the triangle.
theCandyman
I recently had a calculus midterm, but was baffled at how to even start this question. Can anyone point me in the direction to start it? It deals with the maximum/minimum section using differentiation.

What is the maximum area of a rectangle inscribed within a triangle with sides 12, 16 and 20?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is so ironic, I go to Georgia Tech. Everyone here is always bashing UGA about being a school of dumb people. I appreciate it, but I was hoping for a more direct help, such as the set up for the equation. I know A = bh, but what do I take the deritive with respect to?

Last edited:
begin by drawing a picture. center the triangle on the xy plane. draw an arbitary inscribed rectangle and label the point where the triangle and rectangle meet as (x,y). you should also have a symmetric point labeled (-x,y). find relationship between y and x (using the length of the 3 sides of the triangle). express the area for the rect in terms of x, differentiate, set to zero, and solve.

1. What is the purpose of a calculus I test question?

The purpose of a calculus I test question is to assess a student's understanding and application of basic calculus concepts and techniques.

2. What topics are typically covered in a calculus I test question?

Topics commonly covered in a calculus I test question include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Other topics may include applications of derivatives, optimization, and curve sketching.

3. How should I prepare for a calculus I test question?

To prepare for a calculus I test question, it is important to review and practice the fundamental concepts and techniques covered in class. This can include completing practice problems, reviewing class notes and textbooks, and seeking assistance from a tutor or professor.

4. What is the format of a calculus I test question?

The format of a calculus I test question can vary, but it typically consists of a mix of multiple choice, short answer, and problem-solving questions. Some questions may require students to show their work and provide explanations for their answers.

5. How much time should I allocate for a calculus I test question?

The amount of time needed to complete a calculus I test question can vary based on the difficulty and length of the test. However, it is generally recommended to allocate enough time to carefully read and understand each question, and to double check your work before submitting the test.