Quantum mechanics, suffix notation

In summary, The conversation discusses the commutation between momentum P and angular momentum L. It is suggested to remember the identity [A, BC] = [A, B]C + B[A, C] to easily prove the commutator. The components of momentum Pi and Pj are found to commute, resulting in -i*h-bar deltaik. The delta is used to denote a dot product and a differential is shown as just a differential.
Chronos000

Homework Statement

the problem asks for the commutation between momentum P and angular momentum L.

My solutions give an intermediate step of:

ejkl [Pi, Xk *Pl]

ejkl[Pi,Xk]Pl

I don't understand why we can just take out a Pl from the commutation. its not at the end of both parts of the commutation and so will be acted on in a different order

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a very useful identity,
[A, BC] = [A, B]C + B[A, C],
I suggest you remember it forever :-)

You can easily prove it by writing out the commutator, if you wish.

thanks for pointing this out to me. but wouldn't I have two terms if I used that relation?

I have also been told that Pi acting on Xk results in -i*h-bar deltaik

I thought the delta was only used to denote a dot product whereas a differential was just shown as a differential?

Doesn't the different components of momentum commute, i.e. [Pi,Pj]=0, i != j ?

In that case the result follows by using the mentioned identity (if I correctly understand that when you write Pi and Pj you mean the different components of momentum P).

I can't believe I missed that... I still don't know where this delta comes from though

i figured it out, thanks anyway

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It describes the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of particles on a subatomic scale.

2. What is suffix notation in quantum mechanics?

Suffix notation is a mathematical notation used to represent quantum states and operators in quantum mechanics. It involves using subscripts to denote different quantum states and superscripts to denote different operators.

3. How is suffix notation used in quantum mechanics?

Suffix notation is used to simplify and express complex quantum equations in a concise and systematic manner. It allows for the representation of multiple quantum states and operators in a single equation, making calculations more efficient and easier to understand.

4. What are the benefits of using suffix notation in quantum mechanics?

Suffix notation allows for a more elegant and compact representation of quantum states and operators, making it easier to manipulate and understand complex equations. It also helps to avoid confusion and errors that may arise from using multiple symbols to represent different quantum states and operators.

5. Are there any limitations to using suffix notation in quantum mechanics?

While suffix notation is a useful tool in quantum mechanics, it may not always be the most efficient method for representing certain quantum systems. In some cases, other notations such as matrix notation may be more suitable or necessary. Additionally, suffix notation may become increasingly complex and difficult to interpret for very large or highly entangled quantum systems.