Inverse of Automorphism is an Automorphism

• Thread starter BrianMath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, the inverse of an automorphism is also an automorphism. This means that for every mapping of an object to itself, there exists a corresponding mapping that reverses the original mapping. This concept is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to describe the relationship between a function and its inverse.
BrianMath

Homework Statement

Verify that the inverse of an automorphism is an automorphism.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]f:G\to G[/itex] be an automorphism. Then, [itex]f(xy)=f(x)f(y)[/itex] [itex]\forall x,y\in G[/itex].
Then, we define the inverse [itex]f^{-1}:G\to G[/itex] by [itex]f^{-1}(f(x)) = f(f^{-1}(x)) = x[/itex] [itex]\;\;\forall x\in G[/itex]. We get [itex]f^{-1}(f(x)f(y))=f^{-1}(f(xy))=xy=f^{-1}(f(x))f^{-1}(f(y))[/itex]. Since [itex]f^{-1}(f(x)f(y))=f^{-1}(f(x))f^{-1}(f(y))[/itex], [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is an automorphism.

I was watching http://www.extension.harvard.edu/openlearning/math222/" , and this came up as an exercise in lecture 3. I was wondering if I did this problem correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
BrianMath said:

Homework Statement

Verify that the inverse of an automorphism is an automorphism.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]f:G\to G[/itex] be an automorphism. Then, [itex]f(xy)=f(x)f(y)[/itex] [itex]\forall x,y\in G[/itex].
Then, we define the inverse [itex]f^{-1}:G\to G[/itex] by [itex]f^{-1}(f(x)) = f(f^{-1}(x)) = x[/itex] [itex]\;\;\forall x\in G[/itex]. We get [itex]f^{-1}(f(x)f(y))=f^{-1}(f(xy))=xy=f^{-1}(f(x))f^{-1}(f(y))[/itex]. Since [itex]f^{-1}(f(x)f(y))=f^{-1}(f(x))f^{-1}(f(y))[/itex], [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is an automorphism.

I was watching http://www.extension.harvard.edu/openlearning/math222/" , and this came up as an exercise in lecture 3. I was wondering if I did this problem correctly.

Seems good! :smile:
As an exercise however, it would be benificial if you indicated where exactly you use injectivity and surjectivity...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of inverse of automorphism?

The inverse of an automorphism is the function that reverses the operations of the original automorphism. It takes an element from a set and maps it back to the same element in the original set.

2. How is the inverse of automorphism related to the concept of isomorphism?

The inverse of automorphism is closely related to the concept of isomorphism, which is a bijective homomorphism between two algebraic structures. Both involve the idea of preserving the structure of a set while mapping elements to one another.

3. Can any automorphism have an inverse?

No, not all automorphisms have an inverse. In order for an automorphism to have an inverse, it must be both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). If these conditions are not met, the automorphism will not have an inverse.

4. What is the importance of the inverse of automorphism in mathematics?

The inverse of automorphism is important in mathematics because it allows us to study the structure of algebraic objects by looking at their symmetries. It also helps us to identify and prove properties of algebraic structures and understand the ways in which they can be transformed while preserving their structure.

5. How can one prove that the inverse of an automorphism is also an automorphism?

The proof that the inverse of an automorphism is also an automorphism involves showing that it satisfies the two main properties of an automorphism: it is bijective and it preserves the structure of the set. This can be done using algebraic or group theory techniques, depending on the specific context of the automorphism.