My HP printer installation program cannot see the printer

In summary, the conversation is about the issue of a HP printer installation program not recognizing the printer when attempting to install it on two other computers. The program was previously able to install the printer on multiple computers without any problems, but now it is unable to do so. The printer is still functioning on the old computers, but the installation program cannot detect it. The suggestion is to try using a different USB port on the system.
yungman
My HP printer installation program cannot see the printer!

I have a HP All In One 7400 office jet and is working for many years. It only work with XP only. I have had no problem installing this into many computers and late as a week ago. But all of a sudden, when I try to install the printer on two other computers that originally had the same printer working and with the program deleted cannot see the printer.

The installation is in such you run the installation, in the middle it tell you to plug in the printer through the USB port and it will immediately recognize the printer. But as of only two days ago, the program don't see the printer anymore!

The printer is still working fully with the old computers, I just cannot install into any computer anymore. The USB cable works! Any suggestion?

BTW, this is a totally different issue from my desktop that I have on another thread. This is on all the other good computers. Also on my just fixed computer that still have part of the printer program working, I can print, and I can even scan with the MS scanning program. But when I try to use the CD and a downloaded version to try to re-install the complete program, it won't recognize the printer. That is so strange.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org

Try a different USB port (plug) on your system if there are any others. There are multiple USB controllers and maybe the one you're trying to use is causing this problem.

1. Why can't my HP printer installation program detect my printer?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, make sure that your printer is properly connected to your computer and turned on. If it is a wireless printer, check that it is connected to the same network as your computer. Additionally, ensure that you have downloaded and installed the correct printer drivers for your specific printer model.

2. What should I do if my HP printer installation program freezes or crashes during the installation process?

If your installation program freezes or crashes, try restarting your computer and then running the installation program again. You can also try downloading the installation program from the HP website instead of using the installation CD. If the issue persists, contact HP customer support for further assistance.

3. I am using a Mac computer, why does my HP printer installation program keep getting stuck on the "Preparing to install" step?

This issue could be caused by a conflict with other programs or software on your computer. Try closing all other open programs and running the installation program again. You may also need to uninstall any previous printer software and drivers before attempting to install the new software.

4. Can I use my HP printer with a different installation program?

It is recommended to use the installation program provided by HP for your specific printer model. However, some printers may be compatible with generic installation programs. Check the HP website or contact customer support for more information.

5. My HP printer is connected to my computer, but the installation program still cannot detect it. What should I do?

If your printer is connected but not being detected by the installation program, try restarting both your computer and printer. You can also try using a different USB port or cable. If the issue persists, there may be a problem with the printer itself and you should contact HP customer support for further assistance.