Motor sizing query for design project.

In summary, the conversation is about an engineering cleaning application involving a cylindrical block and a surrounding container. The block and vacuum chamber have a combined weight of 140.6kg. The speaker is considering a belt drive solution and is trying to size the motor for a minimum frequency of 500RPM. They also mention considering power requirements and potential solutions for determining the necessary motor size.
ukmitch86
Hi there - this is my first post and I hope one of many to come!

My query is a relatively simple one; I'm working with an engineering cleaning application where fluid will be fed into a cylindrical block and spun out into a surrounding container.

The block is 3.5m long and ∅0.140m, weighing in at 92kg. It sits inside a vacuum chamber weighing 48.6kg, total 140.6kg.

I think a belt drive solution will be most practical from a design perspective, and I'm trying to size the motor to drive the load at a frequency of minimum 500RPM.

It's a long time since I've done this sort of calculation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would first and foremost look at the power requirement. How many watts of power do you need? For that you need:
  1. The friction losses at maximum speed. Usually, that can not be calculated, but only determined by experiment.
  2. The acceleration requirements. How much time is allowed to go from zero to full speed. That can be paired with the masses and moments of inertia of rotating pieces, and apply F=ma.
If those calculations prove difficult, the most common practical solution is to oversize the motor. The additional cost of a motor that may be 3-10 x bigger than your needs, may be cheaper that the cost of your engineering labor to calculate the minimum size.

1. What is motor sizing and why is it important for a design project?

Motor sizing is the process of selecting the appropriate motor for a specific application. It is important for a design project because choosing the right motor can ensure the efficiency, reliability, and overall success of the project.

2. What factors should be considered when sizing a motor?

There are several factors that should be considered when sizing a motor, including the required torque and speed, the load characteristics, the duty cycle, the ambient conditions, and the power supply. Other considerations may include cost, weight, and physical dimensions of the motor.

3. How do I determine the required torque and speed for a motor?

The required torque and speed can be determined by calculating the amount of work that needs to be done and the time in which it needs to be done. This will give you the required power, which can then be used to calculate the required torque and speed using the formula: power = torque x speed.

4. What are the different types of motors that can be used for a design project?

There are several types of motors that can be used for a design project, including DC motors, AC motors, stepper motors, and servo motors. The type of motor chosen will depend on the specific requirements of the project.

5. Can I use a motor with a higher or lower power rating than what is required?

It is generally not recommended to use a motor with a significantly higher or lower power rating than what is required. Using a motor with a higher power rating may result in unnecessary costs and energy consumption, while using a motor with a lower power rating may result in insufficient performance and potential damage to the motor.