How much power is needed to melt aluminum using induction heating?

In summary, to melt aluminum using induction heating, you will need to calculate the power needed and ensure that you have sufficient cooling for the coil.
mustafa01991
How much power is needed to be able to melt aluminum using induction heating?

So I have coil of copper wire around an aluminum cylinder.
The aluminum is NOT touching the copper wire.

the copper wire have a thickness of 0.5 cm.
d = 0.5cm
the copper wire is looped 20 times around.
N = 20
each loop is 10 cm wide
d= 10cm

Aluminum mass is about 20g
m = 20g
Aluminum melting point is about 933 K
T = 933K

Feel free to change anything you like here like the mass and number of loops of the wire .. etc.

Is it possible to calculate this?

I looking for the formulas and how to use them to solve this, so i can tweak my design and recalculate.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mustafa01991 said:
How much power is needed to be able to melt aluminum using induction heating?

So I have coil of copper wire around an aluminum cylinder.
The aluminum is NOT touching the copper wire.

the copper wire have a thickness of 0.5 cm.
d = 0.5cm
the copper wire is looped 20 times around.
N = 20
each loop is 10 cm wide
d= 10cm

Aluminum mass is about 20g
m = 20g
Aluminum melting point is about 933 K
T = 933K

Feel free to change anything you like here like the mass and number of loops of the wire .. etc.

Is it possible to calculate this?

I looking for the formulas and how to use them to solve this, so i can tweak my design and recalculate.

Welcome to the PF.

Looks like you should be using copper tubing and liquid cooling of your coil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_heating

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Looks like you should be using copper tubing and liquid cooling of your coil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_heating

Thanks,
I've never built something like this before.
I didn't know that i will need cooling for the wire.
How hot will the copper get if don't cool it?
of course i need to know how much power i will run through it to calculate that.
so any idea about how much power is needed to melt aluminum?

Then I can work on the cooling method for it, if needed.
I live in Sweden so the temperature out side is about -10C now so is it cool enough for my experiment? :)

mustafa01991 said:
Thanks,
I've never built something like this before.
I didn't know that i will need cooling for the wire.
How hot will the copper get if don't cool it?
of course i need to know how much power i will run through it to calculate that.
so any idea about how much power is needed to melt aluminum?

Then I can work on the cooling method for it, if needed.
I live in Sweden so the temperature out side is about -10C now so is it cool enough for my experiment? :)

I only skimmed the wikipedia article, but it seemed to give some information about frequencies and powers to melt different things (I could be wrong). Have you been able to find any other power calculation resources with a Google search?

One thing you need to calculate is the energy needed to melt the aluminium.
The SHC of aluminium is roughly 1000 K/kgC so to raise the temp to melting point of about 700C for a 20g piece requires about 13000 to 14000 joules
The power needed depends on the time needed to supply this energy

I found a really good explanation of many details required for an induction heater here

http://www.mindchallenger.com/inductionheater/

This guy goes into every aspect of the design. I want one!

edit: He says he made two, one 3kw and the other was 10kw and also levitated the work piece (awesome)

Last edited:
For such a small sample, you'll probably only need a couple of KW, maybe less depending on how well insulated the aluminum is. You haven't mentioned anything about what kind of power supply you plan to use though; for aluminum your best bet would be an AC current in the hundred kHz range to help take advantage of the skin depth in the sample.

Do you have an understanding of the fundamentals behind different inductive heaters? The reason I ask is usually they're pumping hundreds of amps through the coil to get significant heating, and the coil in turn gets hot and must be cooled (water or maybe even LN2).

There's a value termed work coil efficeincy which very dependent on the material. For example, the highest theoretical work coil efficeincy for copper is .5 since the work coil is made of the same material as the load. Thus, if your heating copper, you need forced cooling of the coil.
Aluminum is simular in that it is a non-magnetic material with a good conductivity. I don't recall off hand, but this number will likely be in the 55-60% range for aluminum.
For magnetic materials, you can get wonderful efficeincies since the field is typically confined to the surface by skin effect. Thus you do see some of these machines operating without cooling of the coils.

1. How does induction heating work?

Induction heating involves passing an alternating electrical current through a copper coil, creating a magnetic field that induces eddy currents in the metal object placed within the coil. These eddy currents generate heat, causing the metal to reach its melting point.

2. What factors affect the power needed to melt aluminum using induction heating?

The power needed for induction heating depends on the size and shape of the aluminum object, the type of induction heating system used, and the desired melting speed. Additionally, the material and thickness of the container holding the aluminum can also impact the required power.

3. Is it possible to melt aluminum using induction heating at home?

Yes, it is possible to melt aluminum using induction heating at home with the right equipment and safety precautions. However, it is important to note that the process can be dangerous if not done correctly, and it is recommended to seek professional help if you are not experienced in handling high temperatures and electrical currents.

4. How much power is typically needed to melt aluminum using induction heating?

The power needed can vary depending on the factors mentioned above, but on average, about 50-100 kW of power is required to melt aluminum using induction heating. This can also depend on the melting speed desired, as higher speeds may require more power.

5. Are there any environmental benefits to using induction heating for melting aluminum?

Yes, there are several environmental benefits to using induction heating for melting aluminum. Induction heating is a more energy-efficient method compared to traditional heating methods, such as gas or electric furnaces. It also produces fewer emissions, making it a more environmentally friendly option.