What are your Thoughts on the Philosophy of Mathematics?

In summary, according to the interviewee, people should be concerned about the abstraction of mathematics because it can lead to efficient computations, but sometimes it is helpful to think about the physical meaning of numbers.
V0ODO0CH1LD
How do you think of numbers when you're doing math? I particularly feel like sometimes we get to close to acting like computers. We just scan through a list of symbols and compute another list of symbols that makes sense in a certain context. We hardly ever think of things concretely and how they would apply to real life scenarios. When solving equations we just go through a series of steps and come up with an answer, never thinking of what each of those steps actually imply. I know math is meant to be abstract and all, but what are your views on the subject? Should we even be bothered by this abstraction?

Physics news on Phys.org
When doing some computations, it is much easier to just compute and not think. That's why we have the numbers and all sorts of a theorems that we could apply to carry out our computations efficiently. Not to mention digital computers which can only compute and never think.

But sometimes it helps when you think about the significance of numbers involved, which is to say you think about their physical meaning. This can help you check that the computation is reasonable, and sometimes it could help you simplify you computation very significantly.

There is no simple answer.

Numbers and computations are a small part of math.

Mathematics is just abstract.

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality. - Albert Einstein

I try to turn what I'm doing into something I can visualize. I often see math expressions and see relationships and proportional groups and such. For me it is idiosyncratic because I like visual more than algebraic.

One of the most interesting math papers/pdf I have ever read is one by Poincare on "intuition and mathematics". He mentions that new math innovations come from creativity and intuitional leaps. He mentions a lot of mathematicians and perceives their mathematical style and perspective. I *really* enjoyed it.

When starting a thread on philosophy, please post it in the philosophy forum. Also, you need to follow the rules of the philosophy forum. I am locking this thread, since it does not meet the rules of the forum.

What is the philosophy of mathematics?

The philosophy of mathematics is a branch of philosophy that explores the nature, concepts, and principles of mathematics. It seeks to answer questions about the foundations of mathematics, the nature of mathematical knowledge, and the relationship between mathematics and reality.

Why is the philosophy of mathematics important?

The philosophy of mathematics is important because it helps us understand the nature of mathematics and its role in our lives. It also allows us to critically examine the assumptions and principles underlying mathematical theories and methods, which can lead to advancements and improvements in the field.

What are the main schools of thought in the philosophy of mathematics?

There are several main schools of thought in the philosophy of mathematics, including Platonism, Formalism, Intuitionism, and Logicism. Platonism holds that mathematical concepts and objects exist independently of human minds. Formalism views mathematics as a purely formal system of symbols and rules. Intuitionism emphasizes the role of human intuition and construction in mathematics. Logicism sees mathematics as reducible to logic and sets.

What is the relationship between mathematics and reality?

This is a highly debated question in the philosophy of mathematics. Some argue that mathematics is a human construct with no direct connection to reality, while others believe that mathematics is the language of the universe and reflects fundamental truths about reality. Some schools of thought, such as Platonism, believe that mathematical objects exist independently of human minds and have a direct connection to reality.

How does the philosophy of mathematics impact the practice of mathematics?

The philosophy of mathematics can have a significant impact on the practice of mathematics. It can influence the development of new theories and methods, challenge traditional assumptions and approaches, and raise important questions about the reliability and validity of mathematical knowledge. It also plays a role in shaping the role of mathematics in society and its applications in various fields.