Hydrochloric acid solution is needed to make 31 g boric acid?

• Thread starter danne89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the amount of Na2B4O7 * 10H2O and 20% hydrochloric acid solution needed to make 31 g boric acid. The summary includes equations and a suggestion to consider stoichiometry in order to solve the problem accurately. The participants also discuss the proper chemical formulas and reactions involved.
danne89
Hi. I've problem with this question:
How much Na2B4O7 * 10H2O and 20% hydrochloric acid solution is needed to make 31 g boric acid?

My work:
[tex]\frac{x}{Na_2B_4O_7 * 10 H_2O} = \frac {31}{4 H_3BO_3}[/tex]
x = 47.8 g

[tex]\frac {0.2x}{3HCl} = \frac {31}{4 H_3BO_3}[/tex]
x = 275 g

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are u sure that u've written the reaction correctly...?It should be:
[tex] Na_{2}B_{4}O_{7}\cdot 10H_{2}O+2HCl \rightarrow 4H_{3}BO_{3}+2NaCl+5H_{2}O[/tex]

Daniel.

IIRC,there shouldn't be any boron chloride...

Daniel.

I didn't write down the reaction formula. I just used the chemical equality-method.

dextercioby said:
IIRC,there shouldn't be any boron chloride...

Daniel.
What boron chloride ?

Danne, you are not considering the stoichiometry of the problem. You can not solve it without writing down the balanced equation (like Dexter has done for you), and using the fact that 1 mole of sodium borate (or whatever it's called) gives 4 moles of boric acid.

Natrium perborate,a.k.a. BORAX...

Daniel.

1. How do I calculate the amount of hydrochloric acid needed to make a 31 g boric acid solution?

The amount of hydrochloric acid needed can be calculated using the formula: amount of acid needed = (31 g boric acid) x (molar mass of hydrochloric acid) / (molar mass of boric acid). The molar mass of hydrochloric acid is 36.46 g/mol and the molar mass of boric acid is 61.83 g/mol.

2. What is the concentration of the hydrochloric acid solution needed to make a 31 g boric acid solution?

The concentration of the hydrochloric acid solution can be calculated using the formula: concentration = (amount of acid needed) / (volume of solution). The volume of solution needed can be determined based on the desired concentration of the boric acid solution and the molarity of the hydrochloric acid solution.

3. Can I use any type of hydrochloric acid to make the boric acid solution?

Yes, as long as the hydrochloric acid is in its pure form and has a known molar mass, it can be used to make the boric acid solution. It is important to accurately measure the amount of acid needed to ensure the desired concentration of the solution.

4. What is the purpose of adding hydrochloric acid to the boric acid solution?

Hydrochloric acid is added to the boric acid solution to lower its pH and make it more acidic. This is important for certain laboratory experiments and industrial processes. Additionally, hydrochloric acid can act as a catalyst in some reactions involving boric acid.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with hydrochloric acid to make the boric acid solution?

Yes, hydrochloric acid is a strong corrosive chemical and can cause burns if it comes into contact with skin or eyes. Always wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling hydrochloric acid. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and avoid inhaling any fumes.