Incident question - historical event with lack of ethics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of an historical event where a lack of ethics resulted in injury or loss of life. Suggestions for possible events include the West Gate Bridge collapse, the Chernobyl disaster, and a cyanide gas release at Film Recovery Systems. The Engineers Australia code of ethics is mentioned as a reference for discussing the ethical issues involved in these events. The conversation also suggests researching case studies and incidents related to engineering ethics for further ideas.
k31453
incident question -- historical event with lack of ethics

I have to Write a report outlining an historical event in which a lack of ethics has caused the injury or loss of life. You
should discuss the issues with reference to the Engineers Australia code of ethics.

i can't find any events ! an anybody help me out ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do they have to be Australian events or just events where the Aussie ethics code would say something relevant about it? Have you googled "engineering ethics case study"?

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Gate_Bridge
I read about it in a book: Bignell, Victor and Fortune, Joyce (1984). Understanding Systems Failures. Manchester: Manchester University Press. It was a chapter in the book.(web ref http://oro.open.ac.uk/12943/) From memory, one of the firms found at fault (Freeman Fox and Partners) bought up almost all the reports of the enquiry, but one slipped through to a library from which the chapter in the book was written. The whole thing raises a number of ethical issues including the attempt at suppressing the report of enquiry.

You can write about the Space Shuttle Challenger which killed 7 people in 1986. In a documentary I watched once, thay said that an engineer had submitted a report, warning about the faulty O-ring but no one called off the launch. I don't know if this is a conspiracy theory or a fact but you don't have anything to lose if you check it out.

Asbestos mining.

NascentOxygen said:
Asbestos mining.

i am thinking of west gate bridge or chernobyl !

1. What is an incident question?

An incident question is a question that raises concerns about a specific historical event or situation, particularly in terms of ethical considerations. It is often used in research and academic discussions to analyze and reflect on past events and their impact on society.

2. What qualifies as a historical event with lack of ethics?

A historical event with lack of ethics refers to any event or action that violates commonly accepted moral principles and values. This can include events such as genocide, human rights abuses, and corruption, among others. It is important to note that ethical standards may vary across time and cultures, and what may be considered unethical today may not have been seen as such in the past.

3. Why is it important to study incidents with lack of ethics?

Studying incidents with lack of ethics allows us to understand and learn from past mistakes and injustices. It also helps us identify patterns and systemic issues that may contribute to unethical behavior, and work towards preventing similar incidents in the future. Additionally, studying these incidents can promote awareness and empathy towards those affected by them.

4. How do researchers approach studying incidents with lack of ethics?

Researchers may use various methodologies and frameworks to analyze and reflect on incidents with lack of ethics. This can include utilizing historical documents, conducting interviews with those involved, and applying ethical theories and principles to the event. It is important for researchers to approach these topics with sensitivity and ethical considerations in mind.

5. How can we prevent incidents with lack of ethics from happening in the future?

Preventing incidents with lack of ethics requires a multi-faceted approach. This can include promoting ethical education and awareness, creating and enforcing ethical guidelines and laws, and holding individuals and institutions accountable for their actions. It also involves addressing underlying systemic issues and promoting a culture of ethical responsibility and accountability.