Misalignment of angular momentum of stars (simulation)

In summary, the conversation is about a researcher who has processed the data of an n-body simulation using the RAMSES code and AMIGA halo finder. They have focused on a specific halo that contains a massive galaxy and satellite galaxies. The simulation was run from redshift 99 to 2 and the researcher has calculated the misalignment between the specific angular momentum of star content and dark matter/stars at different radii, as well as the total specific angular momentum of dark matter at the virial radius. The researcher is looking for information on the meaning of these angles, specifically in relation to intrinsic factors that could affect the results.
shadi612
hey all! I have just finished processing the data of an n-body simulation (RAMSES code was used to do the simulation and AMIGA halo finder found our halos) ,so I have chosen a specific halo and it contains a massive galaxy (and of course satellite galaxies around it) and the code was run from redshift 99 to 2 and now I have calculated the misalignment between the specific angular momentum of star content of this simulation at galaxy radius (0.1 Rvir) and specific angular momentum of dark matter/stars for each radius up to virial radius. and also the angle (misalignment) between the total specific angular momentum of dark matter at virial radius and the specific angular momentum of dark matter/stars at each radius. I was just wondering if anyone knew what these angles could mean. I already know the effect on gravitational lensing, but I'm not interested in that. maybe something more intrinsic,something that could cause problems in the results! help me! :D many thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is meant by "misalignment of angular momentum of stars"?

The angular momentum of a star refers to the rotation and movement of the star around its axis. Misalignment occurs when the direction of this rotation is different from the direction of the star's orbit around another object, such as a planet or another star.

2. How is the misalignment of angular momentum of stars simulated?

Scientists use computer simulations to study the dynamics of stars and their angular momentum. These simulations incorporate the known laws of physics and take into account factors such as mass, velocity, and gravitational forces to model the behavior of stars and their interactions with other objects.

3. Why is the study of misalignment of angular momentum of stars important?

The alignment of angular momentum plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of planetary systems, as well as in the dynamics of binary star systems. By studying misalignment, scientists can gain a better understanding of the processes involved in the formation and evolution of these systems.

4. What factors can cause the misalignment of angular momentum in stars?

There are several factors that can contribute to the misalignment of angular momentum in stars. These include the gravitational interactions between stars and other objects, such as planets or other stars, as well as the effects of stellar winds and magnetic fields.

5. What are some potential implications of misalignment of angular momentum in stars?

Misalignment of angular momentum can have significant impacts on the stability and dynamics of planetary systems and binary star systems. It can also affect the formation and evolution of these systems, potentially leading to the formation of unique planetary configurations or changes in the orbital characteristics of binary stars.