Full solution for the simple pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the ODE θ''+(g/l)sin(θ)=0 in relation to a simple pendulum in physics. The key word "Elliptic integral" is mentioned, and various sources were consulted to find a solution, including Wolfram Alpha and the Jacobi elliptic functions. It is concluded that the full solution of the ODE is not expressible in elementary functions and conservation of energy can be used to obtain a first-order ODE.
tataratat
Having recently completed a session on the simple pendulum in physics, I was curious as to what the solution to θ''+(g/l)sin(θ)=0 for θ(t) was sans the sin(θ)=θ simplification.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done to satisfy your curiosity?

Elliptic integral is the key word.

voko, prior to posting I had essentially spent about an hour or so looking through various articles, lecture notes,et c., and hadn't run into anything involving a full solution of that ODE. I did check Wolfram Alpha which pointed me in the direction of the Jacobi elliptic functions, however that did not readily lend itself to understanding the derivation, or finding a numerical solution. I looked under functions.wolfram.com for the Jacobi Amplitude function, and wasn't able to find what I was looking for

The full solution of that ODE is not expressible in elementary functions. Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_(mathematics )

Last edited by a moderator:
θ''+(g/l)sin(θ)=0
Multiply [tex]\theta^.[/tex] to make [tex]{{\theta^.}^2}^. [/tex], integrate and then take square root to get [tex]\frac{dt}{d\theta}[/tex]

sweet springs said:
θ''+(g/l)sin(θ)=0
Multiply [tex]\theta^.[/tex] to make [tex]{{\theta^.}^2}^. [/tex], integrate and then take square root to get [tex]\frac{dt}{d\theta}[/tex]

Or just start with conservation of energy and get the first-order ODE directly.

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a theoretical model consisting of a point mass suspended by a weightless and rigid string or rod. It is used to study the effects of gravity and oscillatory motion.

2. What is the equation of motion for a simple pendulum?

The equation of motion for a simple pendulum is given by T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period (time for one complete oscillation), l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the length of the pendulum affect its motion?

The length of the pendulum directly affects its period of oscillation. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, while a shorter pendulum will have a shorter period. This is because a longer pendulum has a greater distance to travel in one oscillation, resulting in a longer time period.

4. What factors affect the motion of a simple pendulum?

The motion of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, the amplitude of the oscillation, and the strength of gravity. Friction and air resistance can also play a role in the motion of a pendulum.

5. How is a simple pendulum used in scientific experiments?

A simple pendulum is used in scientific experiments to demonstrate the principles of oscillatory motion and to measure the effects of gravity. It is also used to study the effects of different variables, such as length and mass, on the motion of the pendulum. In addition, the simple pendulum is often used as a timing device in experiments, as its period is constant for a given length and mass.