Molten Mantle of Earth: Bill Nye's Misleading Statements

• Thread starter Antiphon
  • Start date
In summary: Decay of these nuclides over time produces heat, and because the Earth is so big and has been around for so long, its interior is hot. However, this heat is generated by radioactive decay, and it's not due to the Earth's present-day temperature.
Antiphon
I was watching Bill Nye the science guy on TV recently.

He stated that the Earth's insides are molten because they were
really hot a long time ago and they just haven't cooled off yet.

We all know that's rubbish. It's the natural radioactive decay
of isotopes in the Earth that keeps it hot.

Why is this guy misleading children this way?

I think it's because he doesn't want kids growing up to think that
radioactivity is as natural as sunshine and rain. He'd prefer them to
think its an evil byproduct of modern civilization.

What do YOU think?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Yes, the first is rubbish, but how true is the second?

Some interesting background on that:

http://www.me.ucsb.edu/dept_site/vanyo/computational.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Antiphon, what isotopes are decaying?

All I know is that if I were the size and mass of the Earth, my core would be hot from compression. Eventually it would cool, but I would suppose it would take a great deal of time.

Isotopes

theCandyman said:
Antiphon, what isotopes are decaying?

Well, not being a nuclear engineer I don't know authoritatively.
But I have read that U238 decaying into some Pb isotopes is still
the major mechanism although short-lived Al and other isotopes
would have contributed earlier in the Earth's life.

Edit: Andre's article above confirms some of this and gives a figure
for the amount of heat lost to space: 4.2x10^13 W.

Last edited:
Antiphon said:

I think it's because he doesn't want kids growing up to think that
radioactivity is as natural as sunshine and rain. He'd prefer them to
think its an evil byproduct of modern civilization.

What do YOU think?

what kids would understand if you tell them about isotopes and radio activity ?

roofcrash said:
what kids would understand if you tell them about isotopes and radio activity ?
If they're not old enough to understand it in-depth, that doesn't mean you feed them misinformation.

I thought about that before posting my question, i understand what you mean but children can not be old unless they have aspenger syndrome or they are genetically modified.

Antiphon said:

Partly true, the Earth remelted early after it's formation(350-500Myr?) due to radioactive decay (mostly K-40) - since then it's largely just insulation.
I don't think the modern decay power input is significant - is it?

Antiphon said:

He stated that the Earth's insides are molten because they were really hot a long time ago and they just haven't cooled off yet.

We all know that's rubbish. It's the natural radioactive decay of isotopes in the Earth that keeps it hot.

I think it's because he doesn't want kids growing up to think that radioactivity is as natural as sunshine and rain. He'd prefer them to think its an evil byproduct of modern civilization.

What do YOU think?

I think that looking for anti-radioactive propoganda in Bill Nye's show is ridiculous. It's a kid's science show, and what he said isn't strictly incorrect it's just simplified.

The two major radioactive nuclides are Uranium and Thorium both of which are present in reasonable(ish) concentrations.

1. What is the "Molten Mantle of Earth" and why is it important?

The "Molten Mantle of Earth" refers to the layer of hot, semi-liquid rock beneath the Earth's crust. It plays a crucial role in the movement and recycling of Earth's tectonic plates, as well as in the formation of volcanic activity and the Earth's magnetic field.

2. Who is Bill Nye and why are his statements about the "Molten Mantle of Earth" misleading?

Bill Nye, also known as "The Science Guy", is a science educator and television personality. His statements about the "Molten Mantle of Earth" have been criticized for being oversimplified and not fully accurate, as they fail to fully explain the complexity and dynamics of the Earth's interior.

3. What are some examples of Bill Nye's misleading statements about the "Molten Mantle of Earth"?

One example is his claim that the Earth's mantle is "made of hot, liquid rock". While the mantle is indeed hot and semi-liquid, it also contains solid rock and minerals. Another example is his statement that the mantle is "flowing like a liquid", when in reality, the movement of the mantle is much more complex and is driven by a combination of factors.

4. How do scientists study the "Molten Mantle of Earth" and gain a better understanding of it?

Scientists use various methods, such as seismic imaging, laboratory experiments, and computer modeling, to study the properties and behavior of the Earth's mantle. This allows them to better understand its composition, movement, and role in shaping the Earth's surface and processes.

5. Why is it important for the public to have a correct understanding of the "Molten Mantle of Earth"?

Having a correct understanding of the Earth's interior, including the "Molten Mantle", is crucial for making informed decisions about issues such as natural hazards, resource management, and climate change. It also helps to promote scientific literacy and a deeper appreciation for the complexity and wonder of our planet.