How can I make my electric scooter go faster

In summary, to go faster on an electric scooter you could either change the controller or use a 36V battery pack. Either option may require more voltage and current than you currently have.
bigdummy
I have a 400W electric scooter and it's just too slow. It uses a 400W, 20Ah motor. So I have a few questions:

What is the easiest way to make this thing go faster without changing the controller?

Will I burn the motor out with a 36V battery pack (the pack is 3 twelve volt, twelve amp cells hooled up on paralell--does that make is a 36amp cell?)

Will the increased voltage increase the RPMs of the motor?

I am trying to do this on the cheap, which means changing as little as possible. I have two of these 36V batteries and a charger, so ideally I would like to be able to solve my problem just by using them. Will it work? Or will I thrash the motor to pieces overnight?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bad idea, you're likely to burn out the controller if you apply too high a voltage.

And if your batteries are in parallel then you have increased the current capacity - in other words longevity - not voltage. In series you gain voltage but the capacity remains the same as the weakest cell in the series.

To find a cheap solution, the first thing to establish is if the motor controller allows for a full duty cycle (assuming its a PWM) and/or if it automatically speed limits based on back-EMF. If this were the case, then a simple high-current relay bypassing the controller would allow you to increase the speed for cheap with the existing battery system. The relay by itslef would last a decent while before the inductive kick-back would pit the contacts too much, and you could add a flyback diode to prevent that too.

Otherwise, to go faster you'd need more voltage AND current - in essence more power. And likely a larger controller to handle that, and better cooling for the motor that may need brushes replaced more often and so on.

You could also, of course, swap the whole drive system from a more powerful bike—motor, batteries, the works. The advantage to that is that everything will already be compatible.

What is the maximum speed of an electric scooter?

The maximum speed of an electric scooter varies depending on the model and brand, but most electric scooters have a top speed of 15-20 miles per hour.

Can I modify my electric scooter to go faster?

Yes, it is possible to modify your electric scooter to go faster. However, it is important to note that modifying your scooter may void its warranty and can be dangerous if not done properly. It is recommended to consult with a professional before making any modifications.

What are some safe ways to increase the speed of my electric scooter?

There are a few safe ways to increase the speed of your electric scooter. One way is to upgrade the battery to a higher voltage or capacity, which can provide more power to the motor. Another way is to replace the motor with a more powerful one. It is important to make sure all the components are compatible and to follow proper safety procedures when making any upgrades.

Are there any legal restrictions on how fast an electric scooter can go?

Yes, there are legal restrictions on how fast an electric scooter can go. In most states, the maximum speed limit for electric scooters is 25 miles per hour. It is important to check your local laws and regulations before using an electric scooter.

How can I maintain the increased speed of my electric scooter?

To maintain the increased speed of your electric scooter, it is important to regularly check and maintain all components, including the battery, motor, and tires. Keeping your scooter clean and avoiding rough terrain can also help prolong its speed and performance. Additionally, following proper safety precautions and not exceeding the recommended weight limit can help maintain the speed of your electric scooter.