Charged conducting sphere in a uniform electric field?

In summary, the problem involves finding the potential outside a charged conducting sphere in a uniform electric field. The solution involves considering the sphere as an equipotential with a potential of zero and adding a point charge at the center of the sphere to account for the added charge. This solution satisfies Laplace's equation and the boundary conditions, making it the unique solution. However, it may not be the most straightforward approach to solving the problem.
TMFKAN64
Hello, I've been working my way through Griffiths' "Introduction to Electrodynamics" book, and I'm slightly confused by Problem 3.20. For those of you without a copy of this book, given a conducting sphere of radius R and charge Q in a uniform electric field of strength E0, what is the potential outside the sphere?

Intuitively, this is virtually identical to example 3.8, which solved the problem for an uncharged sphere. The sphere is an equipotential which can be defined to be zero when r = R. Far away from the sphere, the field is just E0 in, say, the z direction, so the potential is -E0 z there. After playing games with separation of variables, you end up with V(r, theta) = -E0 (r - R^3/r^2) cos(theta).

In this problem, I can still say that the sphere is an equipotential zero and field is the same as above when we get far from the sphere. If we are to add a charge Q to an equipotential sphere so that it remains an equipotential, the charge must be uniform over the surface of the sphere. Therefore, the charged solution is V(r, theta) = -E0 (r - R^3/r^2) cos(theta) - Q/(4 pi e0 r).

I'm not happy with this solution though. Am I missing some way of setting up the problem and solving it directly without frantically waving my hands over the important bits?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't be happy. You can no longer consider the potential on the sphere zero because it has charge Q which raises the potential of the conductor to ##V_0=\frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 R}##. It also raises the potential every where outside the sphere by adding an additional ##1/r## term. Thus, the new potential outside the sphere is the old potential plus the potential of point charge ##Q## placed at the center of the sphere. This new potential is a solution to Laplace's equation and satisfies the boundary conditions. Therefore, by the uniqueness theorem is the solution.

What is a charged conducting sphere?

A charged conducting sphere is a spherical object made of a material that allows electricity to flow through it easily, such as metal. When a conducting sphere is charged, it has an excess of either positive or negative charges on its surface.

What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is a region in which the strength and direction of the electric field are constant. This means that the electric field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

How does a charged conducting sphere behave in a uniform electric field?

When a charged conducting sphere is placed in a uniform electric field, the excess charges on its surface will experience a force due to the electric field. This force will cause the charges to move within the sphere, redistributing themselves until the electric field inside the conducting sphere is zero.

What is the relationship between the electric field and the potential of a charged conducting sphere?

The potential of a charged conducting sphere is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field at its surface. This means that the greater the electric field, the greater the potential difference between two points on the surface of the sphere.

How can the electric potential of a charged conducting sphere be calculated?

The electric potential of a charged conducting sphere can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere. This equation is valid for points both inside and outside of the conducting sphere.