Simple Stress Analysis: Will Lexan Sheet Break?

In summary, the water jet from a pressure vessel at 7000 psi would not crack or break a Lexan sheet of 0.125 in thickness. To perform this analysis, the size of the water jet and the pressure of the jet would need to be known.
001fj
Hello,

I need help with a simple stress analysis. I have a 25 in x 25 in sheet of Lexan that's 0.125 in thick and is constrained from all sides (the Lexan is used a protective shield). I want to know if a small water jet from a pressure vessel at 7000 psi would crack./break that sheet of Lexan or not. I am assuming that the narrow water jet hits the Lexan at the same pressure. How do I do that?

Poisson's ratio is 0.37
Tensile strength at yield is 9500 psi
Young's modulus is 345000 psi

Thanks a lot in advance and I am looking forward to your feedback.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A good shot would be to look in Roarks for a plate supported along all edges and a point load. Calculate what the point load would be based on the diameter of the stream and the pressure.

Its probably best to treat it this way then to consider a load distributed over an area.

Keep in mind that this will be a static analysis and will not consider "blast" effects when the stream is first turned on.

Thank you very much for your help...I am already looking into Roarks methods :)

I would love to have more info. though about how to consider the initial impact effect...anyone?

There are lots of ways to go further.

Is this flow "suddenly" applied? To consider this you would need to know very specific timing information.

Are there harmonics to be considered? Again, you would need to know more about the flow.

Best thing to do is to first do the static analysis. If the factor of safety based on yield is over, say 5? you are probably safe. But it it is closer you would need to do more work.

fj, I think you need more information too. You say a "small water jet", I assume the size of the jet would be a factor. Maybe the jet diameter would be a place to start. S

Thank you sardonicus. For the area of the water jet my boss says to just make an assumption like 1in^2.

Does anybody know how to do bullet impact analysis? In other words, does anybody know how to do stress analysis to see if a material will fail under the impact of a bullet? I see the initial water jet impact very similar to a bullet's impact. If I can figure out how a bullet's impact analyzed I think I can figure out the water jet. Any thoughts?

I would have thought that the temperature, both ambient and water would ahve been very imortant to a material such as lexan.

Secondly the history of the lexan sheet makes a big difference to such materials. That is why plastic safety helmets in construction. mining etc cannot be reused after impact, even though they appear to be sound.

1. What is Simple Stress Analysis?

Simple Stress Analysis is a method used to determine the breaking point or failure of a material when subjected to external forces or loads.

2. How is Simple Stress Analysis performed?

Simple Stress Analysis involves calculating the stress and strain on a material based on the applied loads and its properties, such as elasticity and strength. This can be done using mathematical equations or through computer simulations.

3. What is Lexan Sheet?

Lexan Sheet is a brand of polycarbonate plastic that is known for its strength and durability. It is commonly used in various industries, such as construction, automotive, and aerospace.

4. Will Lexan Sheet break under stress?

It depends on the magnitude of the stress applied and the thickness of the Lexan Sheet. Polycarbonate plastics, such as Lexan, are known to have high impact resistance and can withstand a significant amount of stress before breaking.

5. What factors can affect the breaking point of Lexan Sheet?

The thickness and quality of the Lexan Sheet, the type and magnitude of the applied load, and the temperature can all affect its breaking point. Other factors, such as exposure to chemicals and UV light, can also impact its strength and durability.