Learn Softwares for Electrical & Electronics Engineering

• Thread starter sudath
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed various software options for someone studying electrical and electronics engineering. The options suggested included MATLAB, Mathematica, and C programming. It was also mentioned that Octave could be used as a free alternative to MATLAB and Eagle for circuit design. The use of the word "softwares" was also questioned.
sudath
softwares to learn!

hi,
I am doing my electrical and electronics engineering. I wanted to learn softwares in my free time. Can anyone suggest which software would be useful foe me. My friends suggested MAT LAB or a course in embedded systems. Please suggest any software which will help me wit my subject.

Physics news on Phys.org

MATLAB is very good and probably slightly more useful for your purposes than Mathematica, though both could be useful.

Also, learning to program in C is never a bad idea.

Thanks djeikyb.
I learned a bit about both MATLAB and MATHEMATICA, like you suggested MATLAB is very helpful for me. I am planning to join a course for the same shortly.
And regarding programming in C, I learned C and C++ last year (not a pro though :tongue:)

You can use Octave as a free alternative to MATLAB. You might also want to look at Eagle for circuit design, which is also free, and if your university has it, Labview. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_(program)

I don't see mathematica being particularly useful.

Last edited:

Hijack:

Am I the only one here irritated by the use word "softwares" instead of "programs"?

Is "softwares" a correct word?

Borek said:
Is "softwares" a correct word?

You are correct, Borek. Softwares is not a word - 'software' or 'programs' would do me..

1. What are the most important softwares for electrical and electronics engineering?

Some of the most important softwares for electrical and electronics engineering include MATLAB, Simulink, AutoCAD, PSpice, and LabVIEW. These softwares are commonly used for various tasks such as circuit design, simulation, data analysis, and control systems design.

2. Is it necessary to learn all these softwares for a career in electrical and electronics engineering?

No, it is not necessary to learn all the mentioned softwares for a career in electrical and electronics engineering. However, having knowledge and proficiency in a few of these softwares can greatly benefit an engineer in their job and make them more competitive in the industry.

3. Are there any free resources available to learn these softwares?

Yes, there are many free resources available online to learn these softwares. Many universities and organizations offer online courses and tutorials for these softwares. Additionally, there are also online forums and communities where users share their knowledge and experiences with these softwares.

4. How long does it take to learn these softwares?

The time it takes to learn these softwares varies depending on an individual's learning pace and prior knowledge in the field. Generally, it can take a few months to a year to become proficient in these softwares with regular practice and dedication.

5. Can I use these softwares for other engineering disciplines?

Yes, many of these softwares are used in various engineering disciplines, such as mechanical, civil, and chemical engineering. They have a wide range of applications and can be beneficial for engineers in different fields.