What is the average magnetic dipole moment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnetic dipole and its relevance in measuring the magnetic field of a magnet. The equation for a dipole field is mentioned, along with its limitations in close proximity to the magnet. The question of the average magnetic dipole is raised, but deemed unanswerable without more information. Additionally, the concept of string length is brought up as an analogy for the complexity of the topic.
c.adhityaa
Though this might be absurd, I would seriously like to know the average magnetic dipole of a magnet. For example, you might consider a regular magnet in a remote control car's motors, or any other suggestions too. And I have one more doubt- I know that e.m.f=-d(phi)/dt and phi=integral(B.dS). So, could we use e.m.f=-S.(dB/dt)?

Thank you,
Adhityaa

Physics news on Phys.org
How long is a piece of string?

length of a string ? I don't get you... Could you please explain ?

A magnet generally creates a complicated magnetic field. But usually, we approximate that the magnetic field is a dipole field in the approximation of large distances from the magnet. In other words, this equation won't work close to the magnet, but it is a useful approximation when not close to the magnet:
[tex]B=\frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \frac{m}{r^3} \sqrt{1 + 3 sin^2(\frac{\pi}{2} - \theta)}[/tex]
Where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle from the dipole axis. And m is the dipole moment.

So this equation would give you the magnetic moment if you could measure the magnetic field of the magnet.

I'm not sure what you mean by the average magnetic dipole?... Surely it is only one value which depends on the type of magnet.

c.adhityaa said:
length of a string ? I don't get you...

He's indirectly telling you (by asking a similar sort of question) that your question is unanswerable without further information.

1. What is a magnetic dipole moment?

A magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field created by a magnetic object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the average magnetic dipole moment calculated?

The average magnetic dipole moment is calculated by taking the sum of all the individual magnetic dipole moments in a system and dividing it by the total number of magnetic dipoles.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic dipole moment?

The unit of measurement for magnetic dipole moment is Ampere-meter squared (A·m²) in the SI system. In CGS system, it is measured in ergs per gauss (erg/G).

4. What factors can affect the average magnetic dipole moment?

The average magnetic dipole moment can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the orientation of the magnetic dipoles, and the distance between the dipoles.

5. How is the average magnetic dipole moment used in scientific research?

The average magnetic dipole moment is used in various fields of research such as physics, chemistry, and material science to understand the magnetic properties of materials and to study their behavior in magnetic fields. It is also used in industries such as electronics and healthcare for the development of new technologies.