Is Siri Is a Google Killer ?

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, Siri is a Google killer because it has the ability to collect massive amounts of data and improve over time.
Ryan_m_b said:
Why is this? Siri is a product (or part of a product) that sells, it's not a free platform in need of monetizing.

That would be assuming they open it up to other (non-Apple) devices, which I see as a necessity if they want to be a "Google killer*". Of course, they could subsidize it with iThingy sales and not do that, or they could even do ads on the "free" version and have the iThingy version ad-free. Or they could do any option on a range from ad-free to ad-supported if they open it up to other platforms.

I don't think they will, though, which means Siri is not going to harm Google in any meaningful way.

*Whatever that means.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Google and Android respond to Siri with what I like to call "Not a" Cluzee. One would think the smart marketing folks at Google could have picked a better choice for the Assistant's name. I am sure the Apple folks will have a field day using names and phrases like: "Clueless" and "Without a Cluzee" to poke fun at Google's launch.
Cluzee might lack the integration with some of the outside devices and services like Plex media and such that Siri offers. However, it will do the core voice functions Siri offers

The scope of available commands is far more narrow that Siri’s, but there is plenty of functionality in this first public build of the app and we have high hopes for future versions.

A video follows below along with another pair of screenshots and Tronton’s full press release. Android users can click this link from their devices to download the app.

Rhody...

apparently Siri doesn't know where any abortion clinics are, except for CPC's, the particular brand driven by fundamentalists that try to guilt people out of abortions. Interesting coincidence, or "safe" marketing?

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2011/11/30/378882/crisis-pregnancy-center-congratulates-apples-siri-for-embracing-an-anti-choice-position/

Pythagorean said:
apparently Siri doesn't know where any abortion clinics are, except for CPC's, the particular brand driven by fundamentalists that try to guilt people out of abortions. Interesting coincidence, or "safe" marketing?

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2011/11/30/378882/crisis-pregnancy-center-congratulates-apples-siri-for-embracing-an-anti-choice-position/
Based on the comments on that page, it's working.
I tried Siri, and it didn't have any results. I guess I'll keep the baby."

Pythagorean, Borg,

The scary thing is on less serious subjects that Siri responds to. I recently spoke to two young (20's) users of Siri for about 8 weeks. Since Siri is so human like in many ways, they start asking about dating advice, etc... and basically any question a young adult might ask a close friend. You can see where this is going, right ? They have taken to Siri like a fish to water.

Let's hope that the Apple folks have given Siri a "good pedigree" because the potential for her suggestions to be taken to the extreme or out of context is huge. We all know about not walking in near traffic and texting, and not driving and texting. I would be willing to bet that in the not too distant future, someone will "sue" Siri (Apple) because of suggestions made by her with less than the desired outcome for God only knows what reason. How some people readily accept this is amazing and frightening to watch unfold. "I trusted Siri ! Now, look what happened because of her." will be hitting the news in the near future.

Rhody... :uhh:

Ah... an entrepreneur hard at work...

Siri Hack Allows You to Control Your Home Via Voice
The system combines the iPhone 4S Siri with Arduino, the Beagle Board (an open-source hardware single-board computer), and the Siri Proxy plugin. "The real hard work was done by the guys who did Siri Proxy. What they did was quite remarkable," says Schappi. The Ninja board system will combine these components into a unit the size of a deck of cards with two ports, making it a simple plug-and-play solution for controlling your home via voice. A specific price has yet to be decided upon, but they are hoping to keep it under $150.

Rhody...

<h2>1. What is Siri?</h2><p>Siri is a virtual assistant developed by Apple Inc. It is a voice-controlled intelligent personal assistant that uses natural language processing to answer questions, make recommendations, and perform actions by delegating requests to a set of Internet services.</p><h2>2. What is a Google Killer?</h2><p>A Google Killer is a term used to describe a new product or service that is believed to have the potential to significantly reduce or eliminate the dominance of Google in a particular market or industry.</p><h2>3. Is Siri a Google Killer?</h2><p>No, Siri is not a Google Killer. While Siri and Google both offer voice-controlled virtual assistant services, they serve different purposes and cater to different user needs. Siri is exclusive to Apple devices, while Google Assistant is available on a variety of devices and platforms.</p><h2>4. What are the differences between Siri and Google Assistant?</h2><p>Siri is exclusive to Apple devices and primarily uses Apple's own services for information and data. Google Assistant, on the other hand, is available on a variety of devices and platforms and primarily uses Google's vast knowledge base and services for information and data.</p><h2>5. Can Siri replace Google Assistant?</h2><p>No, Siri cannot replace Google Assistant. While Siri and Google Assistant offer similar functionalities, they use different databases and algorithms, and ultimately cater to different user needs. Additionally, Google Assistant is available on a wider range of devices and platforms compared to Siri, making it more versatile and accessible.</p>

1. What is Siri?

Siri is a virtual assistant developed by Apple Inc. It is a voice-controlled intelligent personal assistant that uses natural language processing to answer questions, make recommendations, and perform actions by delegating requests to a set of Internet services.

2. What is a Google Killer?

A Google Killer is a term used to describe a new product or service that is believed to have the potential to significantly reduce or eliminate the dominance of Google in a particular market or industry.

3. Is Siri a Google Killer?

No, Siri is not a Google Killer. While Siri and Google both offer voice-controlled virtual assistant services, they serve different purposes and cater to different user needs. Siri is exclusive to Apple devices, while Google Assistant is available on a variety of devices and platforms.

4. What are the differences between Siri and Google Assistant?

Siri is exclusive to Apple devices and primarily uses Apple's own services for information and data. Google Assistant, on the other hand, is available on a variety of devices and platforms and primarily uses Google's vast knowledge base and services for information and data.

5. Can Siri replace Google Assistant?

No, Siri cannot replace Google Assistant. While Siri and Google Assistant offer similar functionalities, they use different databases and algorithms, and ultimately cater to different user needs. Additionally, Google Assistant is available on a wider range of devices and platforms compared to Siri, making it more versatile and accessible.