Removing beverage can UV-coating?

• Thread starter mastercraft
  • Start date
In summary, the author suggests using paint remover, scrubbing wire, and a soda or beer can cut out to remove the UV-coating from beverage cans.
mastercraft
Removing beverage can UV-coating?

Hello everyone,
I would like to know how can I remove UV-coating of beverage can?
I'm a plastic modeler and I need the aluminum sheet to make some parts
for my models. Sanding method is not an option for me because it damages
aluminum and then I need to polish it which involves great deal of effort not to
ruin the sheet for further usage. So that asks for some kind of solvent to remove the coating.
I read somewhere that chloroform could be the solution
for me and I wonder if that is true. Also, could it be that formic acid may remove it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

I believe that coating is highly crosslinked epoxy. It was designed to be impervious to the dilute phosphoric acid or citric acid present in soft drinks. Formic won't do it without attacking the aluminum as well. I don't know if the chloroform will swell it but acetone just might do it.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/chemical-resistance-epoxy-d_786.html

Acetone is no use for this problem. I've tried it already.

use a solution of strong liquid soap dissolved 1:2 in a 5:3:2 of toluene, acetone and ethanol?

i use this sort of solution for washing polymer coated glassware, works every time. it quite easily separates the polymer from the glass while swelling it. let it soak and scrub it (gloves on) for a while, then wash with water and scrub again.

i do not know if it will work for aluminum.

Thank you for your answer chill_factor. In the mean time I managed to remove protective
coating from soda cans with strong paint remover, some Italian brand RR. It is based on
formic acid. I just smeared it on can and after 20 minutes I scrubed it away with some plastic brush. Also can be used a steel wool which could be even better. This leaves a perfect shine aluminum surface.

mastercraft said:
Thank you for your answer chill_factor. In the mean time I managed to remove protective
coating from soda cans with strong paint remover, some Italian brand RR. It is based on
formic acid. I just smeared it on can and after 20 minutes I scrubed it away with some plastic brush. Also can be used a steel wool which could be even better. This leaves a perfect shine aluminum surface.

So, which rust remover did you use?

I couldn't find it on internet so here's the photo.
Paint remover, scrubing wire and a sheet of aluminum cut out of soda/beer can.
I believe that paint remover is based on formic acid cause years ago I used
some other product which was based on formic acid and it had specific odour.
This one has the same smell but is in form of gelatine, the previous was in
liquid state.

Attachments

• paint remover.JPG
    paint remover.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 624

1. How do you remove UV-coating from a beverage can?

There are a few different methods for removing UV-coating from a beverage can. One method is to use a solvent, such as acetone or isopropyl alcohol, to dissolve the coating. Another method is to use a mechanical process, such as sanding or scraping, to physically remove the coating. It's important to note that these methods may damage the can's surface, so it's best to test on a small area first.

2. Why would someone want to remove UV-coating from a beverage can?

There are a few reasons why someone may want to remove UV-coating from a beverage can. One reason is for recycling purposes, as the coating can make it difficult for the can to be properly recycled. Another reason may be for aesthetic purposes, such as wanting to customize the can with a different design or label.

3. Can I remove UV-coating from a beverage can at home?

Yes, it is possible to remove UV-coating from a beverage can at home. However, it's important to exercise caution and follow proper safety measures, as some methods may involve the use of chemicals or tools that can be hazardous if not handled properly. It may also be helpful to do some research and gather all necessary materials before attempting to remove the coating.

4. Is it safe to drink from a beverage can with UV-coating removed?

Removing UV-coating from a beverage can should not affect the safety of drinking from it. However, if the can's surface was damaged during the removal process, it's possible for bacteria or other contaminants to enter the can. It's important to inspect the can carefully before consuming any beverage from it.

5. Can I reuse a beverage can after removing the UV-coating?

Yes, it is possible to reuse a beverage can after removing the UV-coating. However, keep in mind that the can's surface may be damaged or rougher after the coating is removed, which may affect its appearance and functionality. It's important to carefully inspect the can before reusing it for any purpose.