Reference materials to understand methods of solar-powered cooling

In summary: Yes, please. In summary, a concentrated solar heater using a linear fresnel reflector can be used to power a cooling system, preferably with minimal use of electricity. However, there are few resources detailing the physics behind these systems, and more needs to be done to understand how they work.
Loboguy
I am working on a concentrated solar heater using a linear fresnel reflector.
I want to learn how I can harness this heat to power a cooling system, preferably with minimal use of electricity. I am in India, so this has a huge ground for application.

I was looking at ideas here, and while neat concepts are presented, the details of how to model them are not.
http://www.machine-history.com/Solar%20Powered%20Air%20Conditioning [Broken]

I'd be very much obliged if someone can list some good technical resources on solar cooling. If someone knows about an open-source solar cooler, or wants to start designing one, that'd be frickin' awesome too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I found a pretty nice PDF, but it mostly covers efficiency and cost (yes, I know those are important). I can't find many resources detailing the physics behind these systems. Perhaps I'm not looking correctly.

Loboguy said:
I am working on a concentrated solar heater using a linear fresnel reflector.
I want to learn how I can harness this heat to power a cooling system, preferably with minimal use of electricity. I am in India, so this has a huge ground for application.

I was looking at ideas here, and while neat concepts are presented, the details of how to model them are not.
http://www.machine-history.com/Solar%20Powered%20Air%20Conditioning [Broken]

I'd be very much obliged if someone can list some good technical resources on solar cooling. If someone knows about an open-source solar cooler, or wants to start designing one, that'd be frickin' awesome too.

Loboguy said:
I found a pretty nice PDF, but it mostly covers efficiency and cost (yes, I know those are important). I can't find many resources detailing the physics behind these systems. Perhaps I'm not looking correctly.

Welcome to the PF.

The thermal energy you get from the solar power unit will need to run a compressor for the air conditioning portion. I don't think you need to convert it to electricity first, just mechanically turn the compressor shaft...

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
The thermal energy you get from the solar power unit will need to run a compressor for the air conditioning portion. I don't think you need to convert it to electricity first, just mechanically turn the compressor shaft...

That makes sense.

After some research I think I'm going to go with an Einstein refrigerator to do the cooling - it has no moving parts and is a closed system. Whatever it may lack in efficiency it makes up for in reliability, and I'll be using free solar energy to power it anyway ^_^

berkeman said:
Interesting. I'd never heard of the Einstein Refrigerator before.

Neither had I, lol. I found it purely by accident. But it is extremely promising.
This fellow, Andrew Delano, built one for his Master's / Ph.D. He got below freezing on his first try, apparently.
http://www-old.me.gatech.edu/energy/students/andy.htm

The guy's research on the Einstein refrigerator is quite nice.
The problem is, I understand the concept just fine but I'm having trouble following all the equations, haha. And I need to understand the equations to calculate the pressures required and the amounts of water, butane, and ammonia to be used.

I don't suppose someone would be willing to break it down for me? lol

1. What are reference materials for understanding solar-powered cooling methods?

Reference materials for understanding solar-powered cooling methods include scientific journals, textbooks, research papers, and online resources such as government publications and industry reports.

2. How can I access reference materials for solar-powered cooling methods?

You can access reference materials for solar-powered cooling methods through your university or local library, online databases, and websites of organizations and institutions that specialize in renewable energy research.

3. What information can I find in reference materials about solar-powered cooling methods?

Reference materials provide information about the principles and mechanisms of solar-powered cooling, different types of solar-powered cooling technologies, case studies and real-life examples, and the potential for future developments in this field.

4. Are there any limitations to using reference materials for understanding solar-powered cooling methods?

Some limitations of reference materials for understanding solar-powered cooling methods include outdated information, lack of specific details, and the need to critically evaluate the credibility and biases of the sources.

5. How can I use reference materials to apply solar-powered cooling methods in my own research?

Reference materials can serve as a starting point for understanding the fundamentals of solar-powered cooling methods and can provide valuable insights for designing and implementing your own experiments or projects related to this topic.