Do electrons exchange photons to create the electromagnetic force?

In summary, the charge on an object is the result of the emission of photons. This explains why the electromagnetic force has infinite range. Additionally, if charges are constantly emitting photons, this would explain why the force has an unlimited range.
Zak
I have read some fairly vague descriptions of charge that say it can be looked at as the amplitude for a particle to exchange a photon.

For example, when two electrons repel, it is because a photon is emitted from one too the other, which would change the direction of both equally and oppositely due to the conservation of momentum. I believe this photon is known as a 'virtual photon'.

Firstly, could anyone confirm whether this is at all correct and, if so, how could the same concept be applied to the attraction between two oppositely charged particles?

Additionally, if charge is the result of photon emission, does that mean that all charge particles are constantly emitting photons in order to always be 'charged'? Would this explain why the electromagnetic force has infinite range?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give some references? Paraphrasing often goes awry.

Charge is simply the conserved quantity resulting from the local (gauge) invariance of the Dirac lagrangian under phase transformations when the electromagnetic interaction is included in the lagrangian.

Zak said:
this sort of summarises it, though the description is great

http://voyager.egglescliffe.org.uk/physics/particles/parts/parts1.html

I think their explanation is bogus. You can’t use increased uncertainty in position to exactly position a photon, as they have done.

Zak said:
For example, when two electrons repel, it is because a photon is emitted from one too the other, which would change the direction of both equally and oppositely due to the conservation of momentum. I believe this photon is known as a 'virtual photon'.
I believe that is correct.

Zak said:
Additionally, if charge is the result of photon emission, does that mean that all charge particles are constantly emitting photons in order to always be 'charged'? Would this explain why the electromagnetic force has infinite range?

I don’t think you could say that, because now you are talking about real photons. Accelerated charges do emit radiation, and there is still controversy about whether it is acceleration or jerk (change in acceleration) which causes this.

Look up synchrotron radiation, and the Larmor formula.

Likes 1 person
my bad, I meant to say the description wasn't very good.

So does anybody have a better explanation for why two charges would attract each other in relation to the photon exchanges between them?

WannaBe’s explanation in post #2 is excellent. That might not be very satisfying to you if you are searching for a deep insight into the cause or origin of charge. The fact is that no one really knows.

Zak said:
...For example, when two electrons repel, it is because a photon is emitted from one too the other, which would change the direction of both equally and oppositely due to the conservation of momentum...

Are you comfortable with that explanation? If so, reflect on what the mechanism might be, by which a photon is emitted from an electron.

We have a natural tendency to transfer what we think we understand about the macro-world into the micro-world, and the micro-world quiote often punishes us for that. For example electrons don’t fly around the nucleus of the atom like planets in orbit, as was originally thought. In the case of charges “exchanging” photons, that seems to make sense to us for the case of two like charges repelling because that is similar to our everyday experience of contact forces. If we throw a ball at a bottle and knock the bottle over, we observe that method of transfer of momentum and we think it applies to the micro-world of electron and photons. But we really have no justification for that. The micro-world has an entirely new set of rules, and the way in which light interacts with matter is the realm of QED.

For now, I think a good way to think of it is that charges influence the field, and it is the polarity of the electromagnetic field which determines the direction of the emitting/absorbing photons. It that way of thinking, at least to me, the sample that you have given makes just as much sense for attraction as for repulsion.

Likes 1 person

1. What is QED explanation for charge?

QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) is a theory that explains how electromagnetic forces work on a subatomic level. According to QED, electric charge is a fundamental property of particles and is caused by their interactions with other particles through the exchange of virtual photons.

2. How does QED explain the existence of charge?

QED explains that the existence of electric charge is a result of the interactions between particles through the exchange of virtual photons. These particles have a property called spin, which determines their electric charge.

3. Can QED explain the origin of charge?

No, QED does not provide an explanation for the origin of charge. It only explains how charge is created and interacts with other particles.

4. How does QED account for the conservation of charge?

According to QED, charge is conserved because it cannot be created or destroyed. In any interaction between particles, the total charge before and after the interaction must remain the same.

5. How does QED explain the behavior of charged particles?

QED explains the behavior of charged particles through the principles of electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. It describes how charged particles interact with each other and with electromagnetic fields, allowing scientists to predict and understand their behavior.