Yosemite Valley: Formed by Graben or Glaciers?

• Thread starter D English
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formation
In summary, The Yosemite Valley was formed by graben, not by glaciation. There is evidence of glaciation, but the graben idea might have been resurrected recently.
D English
I recall watching a program on TV that said the Yosemite Valley was formed by graben as opposed to being carved out by a glacier.

I wanted to look into it further, but haven't been able to find anything in the first several pages of Professor Google's archives.

Is anyone familiar with this, or know of any links?

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply 256. Yes, read the Wiki, that's how I was able to accurately term "graben".

I haven't been able to find any sites that go into depth on the Yosemite valley being formed by graben.

My query lies in my belief that the television show I saw was a recent production, and seemed to be on the side of the valley being formed by graben and not by glaciation.

There definitely is evidence of glaciation.
The graben idea might have been resurrected recently after being dismissed for several decades.
There also seems to be features that point to graben.

256bits said:
There definitely is evidence of glaciation.
The graben idea might have been resurrected recently after being dismissed for several decades.
There also seems to be features that point to graben.

Right!

So now I'm looking for peer-reviewed or likewise suitable documentation. I thought the community may know of a repository like arXiv. I couldn't find anything on it in arXiv.

Thanks for humoring me...

This is comprehensive from the California Division of Mines about the geological history of the area. Even though dated 1962, it does explain some applicable features,

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/geology/publications/state/ca/cdmg-bul-182/index.htm

EDIT: Even though the television program may have been recent, since television is an entertainment medium rather than purely educational. Perhaps if could have been discussing the original proposition of Josiah Whitney (California State Geologist in 1860) of fault formation of Yosomite.
John Muir's later predominent glacial origin theory of Yosemite was accepted as being correct.
Since there actually was quite a lot of geological activity in the west coast ( not the same coast as seen today ) over the millions of years, the producers may have focused their attention on that, and sidestepped any later glacial impact in carving out the the area, into 60 minutes of viewership.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is, of course, no reason that both normal faulting (to produce a graben) should not have been followed by glacial erosion (to produce the current detailed topography).

What is the formation of Yosemite Valley?

The formation of Yosemite Valley is the result of a long and complex geological process that began over 10 million years ago.

What caused the formation of Yosemite Valley?

The formation of Yosemite Valley was primarily caused by glacial erosion and the movement of tectonic plates.

When did the formation of Yosemite Valley occur?

The formation of Yosemite Valley occurred over millions of years, but the most significant changes happened during the last ice age, around 2-3 million years ago.

How did glaciers contribute to the formation of Yosemite Valley?

Glaciers played a significant role in carving out the iconic features of Yosemite Valley, such as the steep cliffs and U-shaped valley. As glaciers moved and melted, they sculpted the landscape and created the distinctive features we see today.

What makes Yosemite Valley a unique geological site?

Yosemite Valley is unique because it showcases a wide range of geological processes, including glaciation, uplift, and erosion, in a relatively small area. It also contains some of the most iconic and well-studied granite formations in the world, such as Half Dome and El Capitan.