Register to reply

A model of galactic star formation

by manav95
Tags: formation, galactic, model, star
Share this thread:
manav95
May8-14, 05:56 PM
P: 2
Hello, I am looking for a model of galactic star formation that I can study. Particularly, I would like one that works well for mature galaxies like the Milky Way. It also should be relatively recent as well. I am primarily interested in the yearly rate of star formation for galaxies like the Milky Way. Can you all point me towards some papers which can give me a good model of galactic star formation?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Exoplanet measured with remarkable precision
New star catalog reveals unexpected 'solar salad'
RXTE satellite decodes the rhythm of an unusual black hole
abitslow
May9-14, 11:03 AM
P: 140
Hi. I am NOT familiar enough with the state-of-the-art to give you recommendations. But if no one else answers consider the following.
Your question presents several puzzles: First is why, if you are capable of studying such models, you are unable to find the relevant articles yourself. For that, I have no answer. My best guess is that you have limited mathematical background, and so want simplified (aka dumbed-down) models. If you go to Google Scholar and search on the terms "galactic star formation milky" and limit the search to 2010 or later (even 2012), you will find plenty. I recommend that you pay particular attention to WHERE the paper was published, if you want to avoid some of the "crazies". You want papers published in top-tier journals, of course. I did that search and found thousands. The more a paper is cited, in general, the larger its impact and hence the more important (ie "mainstream") it is. So, rather than simply looking for papers, you want to look for papers (or better, authors) that are widely cited. Unless you just want "a" model, like the one found here:http://iopscience.iop.org/2041-8205/710/1/L11
Second puzzle is your desire for a "recent" paper. In Science, "recent" means "weakly tested" (this is a simplification, but never-the-less...). If it is "recent", the question of how well it works will be THE question that is under discussion. It is unlikely that someone will publish a well accepted, well working model (except to use as a comparison). I apologize if you know all this, and you were just looking for the topic experts to give you their best leads. It would help them if you describe your mathematical sophistication and desired level of involvement: algebra and pencil and paper or numerical PDEs and supercomputer time measured in CPU years?

Register to reply