Friction coefficient and critical angle

In summary, the speaker stumbled upon a concept while doing problems and wanted to confirm its accuracy. They mention their teacher's lack of expertise in physics and the challenges of community college. The speaker also shares their understanding of the critical angle formula and expresses their concern about their teacher's teaching abilities. They mention having to explain concepts to others after class due to their teacher's teaching style. They also mention their positive opinion of their teacher, despite her shortcomings.
superdave
I stumbled across this while doing some problems, and wanted to make sure it's true. My teacher isn't great. Physics isn't her specialty, but that's what you get at community college.

Anyways, while trying to find the critical angle at which an object will start to move, I realized that it actually works out to be tan(theta)=mu static. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. But you also have to clear with respect to what you are measuring theta - vertical or horizontal?
Don't bother your teacher. She might not have time. But you should not feel or say something bad about someone who teaches you - atleast publicly.

I like my teacher. She's nice, and she knows her stuff. But she's not a great teacher. Knowing the subject, and teaching the subject, are two completely different things. I pick up things quick, but I usually have to explain it all to people after class or in lab, because they didn't understand it during lecture.

superdave said:
I like my teacher. She's nice, and she knows her stuff. But she's not a great teacher. Knowing the subject, and teaching the subject, are two completely different things. I pick up things quick, but I usually have to explain it all to people after class or in lab, because they didn't understand it during lecture.

I want to guess Dr. Wessling?

1. What is the definition of friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the force required to move an object over a surface to the force pressing the two surfaces together.

2. How is the friction coefficient measured?

The friction coefficient can be measured by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the force pushing the two surfaces together.

3. What factors affect the friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force pushing the surfaces together.

4. What is the critical angle of friction?

The critical angle of friction is the angle at which an object resting on a slope will begin to slide down due to the force of gravity and the friction between the object and the slope.

5. How is the critical angle of friction calculated?

The critical angle of friction can be calculated by dividing the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces by the tangent of the angle of the slope.