Subspaces of V: F(R, R)

• Thread starter VinnyCee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspaces
In summary, each of the following are subspaces of the vector space V: - {f | f(0) = 0} - {f | f(0) = 1} - {f | f(0) = f(1)} - C^0(R) = {f | f is continous} - C^1(R) = {f | f is differentiable and f' is continous} - P = {f | f is a polynomial} - P_d\,\,\,\,=\,\,\,\,{
VinnyCee
V = F(R, R), the vector space of all real valued functions f(x) of a real variable x. Which are subspaces of V?

(A) {f | f(0) = 0}

(B) {f | f(0) = 1}

(C) {f | f(0) = f(1)}

(D) [itex]C^0(R)[/itex] = {f | f is continous}

(E) [itex]C^1(R)[/itex] = {f | f is differentiable and f' is continous}

(F) P = {f | f is a polynomial}

(G) [itex]P_d\,\,\,\,=\,\,\,\,{f\,\in\,P\,|\,deg(f)\,\le\,d}[/itex]

(H) [itex]{f\,\in\,C^1(R)\,|\,f'\,=\,f}[/itex]

I have no idea what the last five of these instances mean. Case (C) is not a subspace because it only satifies the first rule that the set {0} be in the space before it can be considered a subspace, right?

Please help, I don't understand the terminology of the last five examples!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't know what "polynomial", "differentiable", and "continuous" mean? If f is a polynomial, you don't know what deg(f), the degree of f, is?

Yes, I know those terms, but not the [itex]C^0,\,C^1[/itex] terms or the P or [itex]P_d[/itex] terms.

Well that's why they are defined for you

For instance, [itex]C^1(R)[/itex] denoted the set of all continuously differentiable (meaning f' is continuous) functions.

(G) would be polynomials that look like

[itex]
f(x) = \sum_{i=0...d} a_i x^i
[/itex]

Both (A) and (B) are subspaces of V, but (C) is not because each element must be unique, right? f(0) = f(1) means that it is not unique and not 1-1. But, how would I prove that (A) and (B) are subspaces of V?

If f(0) = f(1), it's still a function (think of a horizontal line), and there's no requirement for it to be 1-1.

For (B), what is the 0 element of the set?

There will be no 0 element because it always equals 1. So (B) is NOT a subset. (C) could be a horizontal line. But how would I prove these items? what would an arbitrary f(x) function look like?

[tex]f(x)\,=\,a_1\,x^{n\,+\,2}\,+a_2\,x^{n\,+\,1}\,+\,...\,+a_n\,x^n[/tex]

It's just like the matrix case. You have functions in the set [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] and a real number [itex]a[/itex]. Are [itex]af[/itex], [itex]f + g[/itex],and the zero function in the set?

0 function would be f = 0 or [itex]f = 0 x^2 + 0 x + 0[/itex]?

How would I write it out (prove) for case (A)?

{f | f(0) = 0}

1.) 0 [itex]\in[/itex] V.

2.) a f(0) = 0 [itex]\in[/itex] V.

3.) f(0) + g(0) = 0 + 0 = 0 [itex]\in[/itex] V.

Last edited:
VinnyCee said:
0 function would be f = 0 or [itex]f = 0 x^2 + 0 x + 0[/itex]?

How would I write it out though for case (A)?

{f | f(0) = 0}

1.) 0 [itex]\in[/itex] V.

2.) a f(0) = 0 [itex]\in[/itex] V.

3.) f(0) + g(0) = 0 + 0 = 0 [itex]\in[/itex] V.

Those are all pretty clear, right? You just need a sentence after each of those computations saying "so <function> is in the set <whatever>." You may need a sentence explaining that the sum of a C^0 functions is also C^0. The same for C^1 functions. And similarly for a real number times a function (should be able to look this up in your calculus text.) For the polynomials you show directly by combining terms that the new function is a polynomial of whatever type is required.

Last edited:
What about case (B)?

It says that a function with zero plugged-in as the variable is equal to one. But this does not mean that the function cannot equal zero at some other plugged-in constant, right? So rule 1 checks out.

However, rule 3 (additive) is not satisfied becuase f(0) + g(0) = (1) + (1) = 2. Which is not 1, obviously.

Does that sound right?

Yes, it does. Further on, for scalar multiplication, i.e. a real scalar [tex]a \neq 1[/tex], you'd have [tex]a\cdot f(0) = a[/tex].

So, is every case except (B) and (H) a subspace of V?

VinnyCee said:
What about case (B)?

It says that a function with zero plugged-in as the variable is equal to one. But this does not mean that the function cannot equal zero at some other plugged-in constant, right? So rule 1 checks out.
No, it doesn't. In function spaces with f+ g defined by (f+g)(x)= f(x)+ g(x) (the usual definition), the 0 vector is the function f(x)= 0 for all x. Is that function in this set?

However, rule 3 (additive) is not satisfied becuase f(0) + g(0) = (1) + (1) = 2. Which is not 1, obviously.
Yes, that is true.

1. What is a subspace of V: F(R, R)?

A subspace of V: F(R, R) is a subset of the vector space V that contains the zero vector and is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do you determine if a set is a subspace of V: F(R, R)?

To determine if a set is a subspace of V: F(R, R), you must check if it contains the zero vector, if it is closed under vector addition, and if it is closed under scalar multiplication. If all three conditions are satisfied, then the set is a subspace of V.

3. What is the dimension of a subspace of V: F(R, R)?

The dimension of a subspace of V: F(R, R) is the number of linearly independent vectors in the subspace. It can also be thought of as the number of basis vectors needed to span the subspace.

4. Can a subspace of V: F(R, R) have infinite dimension?

Yes, a subspace of V: F(R, R) can have infinite dimension if it is a vector space itself. For example, the set of all polynomials of degree n or less is a subspace of V: F(R, R) with infinite dimension.

5. Can two subspaces of V: F(R, R) have the same dimension but be different subspaces?

Yes, two subspaces of V: F(R, R) can have the same dimension but be different subspaces. This is because the dimension only tells us the number of linearly independent vectors, but the actual vectors in the subspaces can be different.