Tension between two objects hanging

• Thread starter lizzyb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the tension of a string between two objects and how to use equations to calculate this tension. The equations used are the sum of forces in the x-direction and the sum of forces in the y-direction. The conversation also addresses the role of gravity and whether both objects should be included in the sum of forces in the y-direction. Ultimately, it is determined that the equations used are correct and T2 can be calculated without regard to the other object.
lizzyb
http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=serway5e1619asinbookjn5.jpg"

How do we determine the tension of the string in the middle of the two objects? Let the tensions be T_1, T_2, and T_3, left to right:

I tried

[tex]\sum F_x = T_2 - \cos \theta T_1 = 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum F_y = \sin \theta T_1 - mg = 0[/tex]

for the other object it is similar. Is there something wrong with this? I can calculated T_2 without regard to the other object. Should I not include both the objects in F_y? thanx!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If T2 is the tension in the middle string, this looks just okay.

ok, got it! thanx! :-)

What is tension between two objects hanging?

Tension is the force that is exerted on an object when it is pulled or stretched by another object.

What factors affect the tension between two objects hanging?

The tension between two objects hanging is affected by the weight of the objects, the distance between them, and the angle at which they are hanging.

How is tension calculated?

Tension can be calculated using the equation T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

How does the angle of the hanging objects affect tension?

The angle at which the objects are hanging affects the tension because it determines the direction of the force being applied. The smaller the angle, the greater the tension will be.

Can the tension between two objects hanging be greater than their combined weight?

Yes, the tension between two objects hanging can be greater than their combined weight if the objects are hanging at an angle. This is because the force of tension is not solely dependent on the weight of the objects, but also on the angle at which they are hanging.