Module Problem: Existence and Sub-Module of N

• Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    module
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a S-module N that is isomorphic to M as an R-module, and preferably a sub-S-module of M. The question also asks if such modules N can be chosen in a way that a homomorphism between R-modules yields a homomorphism between S-modules. The answer is no, and a potential counterexample is given using group algebras. The conversation also mentions the possibility of an equivalence of categories between S-mod and R-mod, and the possibility of this occurring in a 2-category.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Let R be a commutative ring, with subring S.

Let M be an R-module.

Does there exist a S-module N such that [itex]N \otimes_S R \cong M[/itex] as R-modules? Preferably with N a sub-S-module of M?

Even better, can we choose such modules N so that if we have an R-module homomorphism
f:M --> M'​
it yields an S-module homomorphism
g:N --> N'​
so that

Code:
        N (x) R ---> M
        |            |
g (x) R |            | f
        V            V
        N' (x) R --> M'
(with the horizontal arrows the aforementioned isomorphisms)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. Is the simple answer. Such a module, M, I would be tempted to call S-free.

For a well understood (by me) counter example, I like to think of group algebras. The functor [itex]?\otimes_{kH}kG[/itex] is the induction functor, and it is certainly not essentially surjective - though it is true, that every module is a summand of a kH-free object for some H (called the vertex subgroup, and this is a lovely theory of Green's from the 50s.

In general, you're probably asking for an equivalence of categories here, given by restriction from R to S.

I didn't think it'd be that easy, but I couldn't see how to go about constructing a counterexample.

I'm hoping to find circumstances for which, if I had two maps R --> T with S their equalizer, that S-mod --> R-mod would resemble an equalizer of the induced functors R --> T. And if not in Cat, then in what sort of 2-category it does.

1. What is the purpose of studying "Module Problem: Existence and Sub-Module of N"?

The purpose of studying this module problem is to understand the fundamental concepts of modular arithmetic and its applications in various fields such as computer science, cryptography, and number theory. It also helps in developing problem-solving skills and logical thinking.

2. What is a module?

A module is a mathematical concept that involves dividing a number by another number and finding the remainder. It is denoted by the symbol "%". For example, in the expression 7 % 3, the module is 1, as 7 divided by 3 leaves a remainder of 1.

3. How is modular arithmetic used in computer science?

Modular arithmetic is used in computer science to perform operations on large numbers, as it allows for more efficient and faster calculations. It is also used in cryptography to ensure secure communication and data encryption.

4. What is a sub-module of N?

A sub-module of N is a subset of the set of all integers from 0 to N-1. It follows the same rules of modular arithmetic, but with a smaller range of numbers. For example, if N = 12, the sub-module of 8 would consist of the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

5. How is the existence of a sub-module of N determined?

The existence of a sub-module of N is determined by whether or not the numbers in the sub-module are relatively prime to N. In other words, the greatest common divisor of the numbers in the sub-module and N must be 1. If this condition is met, then a sub-module of N exists.