What is the relationship between mass and energy for massless particles?

• Thread starter Kap160
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between mass and energy as described by E=mc^2 in a book about string theory. It also mentions the lack of mass in certain sub-atomic particles, such as the Graviton, and questions whether this means they also have no energy. The expert explains that for massless particles, the real equation is E = \sqrt{c^2 \vec{p}^2 + m^2 c^4} and clarifies that they do have energy, despite not having rest energy. The conversation concludes with gratitude for the clarification.
Kap160
I've recently bean reading a book about string theory (thats not important though) and I came across something that someone here may be able to help me with, I'd really appreciate it, its been bugging me for days.

I may have misinterpreted, so if I have please correct me. In a general introduction the book described the relationship between mass and energy as described by E=Mc2. It also talked about sub-atomic particles, among which there was a small passage on the Graviton (and the lack thereof). It said that it theretically has no mass. If this is so does it also mean that it has no energy? I'm probably totally wrong and will be summarily chastised for my ridiculous question, but I would be eternally greatful if someone could explain this to me. Also if you could do it as if you were talking to a rather stupid child I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any clarification that can be given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Massless particles--a photon is another example--have no rest energy. They certainly have energy. (These massless particles are also never at rest--they all travel at the speed of light.)

Kap160 said:
I've recently bean reading a book about string theory (thats not important though) and I came across something that someone here may be able to help me with, I'd really appreciate it, its been bugging me for days.

I may have misinterpreted, so if I have please correct me. In a general introduction the book described the relationship between mass and energy as described by E=Mc2. It also talked about sub-atomic particles, among which there was a small passage on the Graviton (and the lack thereof). It said that it theretically has no mass. If this is so does it also mean that it has no energy? I'm probably totally wrong and will be summarily chastised for my ridiculous question, but I would be eternally greatful if someone could explain this to me. Also if you could do it as if you were talking to a rather stupid child I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any clarification that can be given.

This is a frequent question. The problem is that E = mc^2 is a special case applicable only to massive particle (and when those particles are at rest). The real equation is [itex] E = \sqrt{c^2 \vec{p}^2 + m^2 c^4} [/itex]. For a massless particle, this reduces to [itex] E = c p [/itex] (where p here is the magnitude of the three-momentum).

Doc Al said:
Massless particles--a photon is another example--have no rest energy. They certainly have energy. (These massless particles are also never at rest--they all travel at the speed of light.)
Thank you, you have saved an idiot from himself. They are bit like me, when they are moving they have enormous energy but when stationary they simply can't be bothered to get up and put the kettle on.

nrqed said:
This is a frequent question. The problem is that E = mc^2 is a special case applicable only to massive particle (and when those particles are at rest). The real equation is [itex] E = \sqrt{c^2 \vec{p}^2 + m^2 c^4} [/itex]. For a massless particle, this reduces to [itex] E = c p [/itex] (where p here is the magnitude of the three-momentum).
Ah... that was slighty above my level of enforced stupidity, although I appreciate the effort...

My thanks to both, I am eternally grateful.

What does "idiocy" mean?

Idiocy refers to a state of extreme foolishness or lack of intelligence.

Can someone really save me from my idiocy?

While it is not possible for someone to completely eliminate your foolishness or lack of intelligence, they can offer guidance and support to help you improve and make better decisions.

How can I stop being so idiotic?

Becoming less idiotic involves self-reflection, learning from mistakes, and actively seeking knowledge and understanding. It also requires being open to feedback and making conscious efforts to improve your thinking and decision-making.

Is being an idiot a permanent condition?

No, being an idiot is not a permanent condition. As humans, we have the ability to learn and grow, and with effort and determination, we can overcome our foolish tendencies and become wiser individuals.

Is being an idiot something to be ashamed of?

No, being an idiot is not something to be ashamed of. We all make mistakes and have moments of foolishness. What matters is recognizing our shortcomings and actively working on improving ourselves.