Challenging Problem - System of Masses - Try It

• Thread starter coolchewy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, with the 0.5 kg block the maximum horizontal force is 8.1 N and with the 1kg block the maximum horizontal force is 11.1 N.
coolchewy

Homework Statement

A 0.5 kg wooden block is placed on top of a 1.0 kg wooden block. The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is 0.35. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the level table is 0.20. What is the maximum horizontal force that can be applied to the lower block without the upper block slipping?

Homework Equations

Fnet = Ff + Fg + Fapplied
Ff= Mew(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried doing this question many different ways and couldn't figure out the answer. The answer is supposed to be 8.1N. I find that there are too many variables to solve for. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
coolchewy said:

Homework Statement

A 0.5 kg wooden block is placed on top of a 1.0 kg wooden block. The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is 0.35. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the level table is 0.20. What is the maximum horizontal force that can be applied to the lower block without the upper block slipping?

Homework Equations

Fnet = Ff + Fg + Fapplied
Ff= Mew(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried doing this question many different ways and couldn't figure out the answer. The answer is supposed to be 8.1N. I find that there are too many variables to solve for. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

We don't do your homework for you here on the PF. We can offer tutorial assistance if you show us your work so far.

Show us the equations that you are setting up, and how you are approaching the problem. What do your free body diagrams look like for each of the blocks?

Okay so for the first block 0.5 kg block I only have a force of friction and force applied because the force of gravity and the force of normal cancel out. Then for the second block 1.0 kg I have a force of normal, a force of friction, force of gravity and a force applied. The thing is that I have a force of normal coming out of the top but I am not sure if its right because the 0.5 block is acting on it. The first equation I used was that for the first block the Fnet = Ff + Fa, because the question doesn't give acceleration I was stuck. For the second block the equation I used was Fnet = Ff+ Fg+Fn+Fa and again I got stuck because there was no acceleration. I found out that the force of friction for the first 0.5 block is 1.72 N and the second 1kg block to be 2.94 N. This is what I have so far.

1. What is the "Challenging Problem - System of Masses - Try It"?

The "Challenging Problem - System of Masses - Try It" is a physics problem that involves a system of masses connected by springs and pulleys. It challenges students to use their knowledge of forces, motion, and energy to solve the problem and find the equilibrium positions of the masses.

2. What makes the "Challenging Problem - System of Masses - Try It" challenging?

The problem is challenging because it requires students to apply multiple concepts from physics, such as Hooke's law, Newton's laws of motion, and conservation of energy. It also involves complex calculations and requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How can I approach solving the "Challenging Problem - System of Masses - Try It"?

To solve the problem, you should start by drawing a free-body diagram for each mass and identifying all the forces acting on them. Then, use the equations of motion and energy to determine the equilibrium positions of the masses. It may also be helpful to break the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. What are some tips for solving the "Challenging Problem - System of Masses - Try It"?

Some tips for solving the problem include carefully reading and understanding the given information, using clear and organized diagrams, and double-checking your calculations. It may also be helpful to work through similar, simpler problems before attempting the challenging one.

5. Why is it important to practice solving problems like the "Challenging Problem - System of Masses - Try It"?

Practicing problems like this one helps strengthen your understanding of fundamental physics concepts and the problem-solving process. It also prepares you for more complex and challenging problems that you may encounter in your studies or career as a scientist.