Mixing Water Masses: Calculating Proportions for Resultant Mass R

• Thread starter groovayness
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses proportions and equations relating to mixing water masses with different temperatures and salinity levels, as well as solving for the relative proportions. It also touches on calculating the change in surface area and volume of a spherical balloon and the weight of an object on different planets.
groovayness
Proportions help needed!

Three water masses (I, II, III) are mixed together to form a resultant water mass (R).
I: T=5 deg C, S=35.50 ppt
II: T=2 deg C, S=34.50 ppt
III: T= 1 deg C, S=35.25 ppt
R: T= 3 deg C, S=35.00 ppt
What were the relative proportions of I, II, and III that were mixed together to form R?

Someone please help, I don't even know where to start...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi groovayness! :smile:

In questions like this, start by saying:

"Let the mass of I be a, of II be b, and of III be c".

(So the mass of R will be a + b + c.)

Hint: if a combination of a at 5º, b at 2º, and c at 1º, is at 3º … what formula does that give you connecting a b and c? :smile:

ok so would the equation be 5a+2b+1c=3(a+b+c)? but then what am i solving for?
And then where do i factor in the salt concentration (s)?

Yes, that's right!

Now put the a's b's and c's together, to make 2a = b+ 2c.

And then do the same thing for the salt … then you'll have another equation for a b and c, from which you can find the ration b/c. :smile:

ok i think i got it.

i got a:b:c is 3.5 : 5 : 1

is that correct?

groovayness said:
ok i think i got it.

i got a:b:c is 3.5 : 5 : 1

is that correct?

Noo … it should be 5 : 6 : 2.

Show us your working. :confused:

A spherical balloon is partially blown up and its surface area is measured. More air is then added, increasing the volume of the balloon. If the surface area of the balloon expands by a factor of 9.4 during this procedure, by what factor does the radius of the balloon change?

If the radius of a sphere is increased by 12 %, by what factor does its surface area increase?
- By what percentage does its surface area increase?
- By what factor does the sphere's volume increase?
- By what percentage does the sphere's volume increase?

The weight of an object at the surface of a planet is proportional to the planet's mass and inversely proportional to the square of the radius of the planet. Jupiter's radius is 11 times Earth's and its mass is 320 times Earth's. An apple weighs 1.0 N on Earth. How much would it weigh on Jupiter?

What is a proportion and why is it important?

A proportion is a mathematical statement that shows the equality of two ratios. It is important because it allows us to compare quantities and make predictions based on known values.

How do I solve a proportion?

To solve a proportion, you can use the cross-multiplication method. Multiply the numerator of one ratio by the denominator of the other ratio, and set the two products equal to each other. Then, solve for the unknown variable.

What are the common types of proportions?

The two most common types of proportions are direct proportions and inverse proportions. In a direct proportion, the two quantities increase or decrease at the same rate. In an inverse proportion, one quantity increases while the other decreases at a constant rate.

What are some real-life applications of proportions?

Proportions are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in cooking and baking to adjust recipe quantities, in financial planning to determine interest rates, and in sports to calculate statistics such as batting averages and free throw percentages.

What should I do if I am having trouble understanding proportions?

If you are having trouble understanding proportions, it can be helpful to review the basics of ratios and fractions. You can also seek out additional resources such as online tutorials or ask for help from a teacher or tutor.