[PhD Qualifier] Charged rod above metal plate

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the charge density on the upper surface of a metal plate directly below a uniformly charged rod. The suggested approach is to use the formula \sigma = -\epsilon_0\frac{\partial V}{\partial S} and calculate the potential using the electric field from the rod. The method of images may also be applicable in this scenario.
confuted
Hey ... I'm trying to study for my PhD qualifying exam, and I have a bunch of questions from previous years, but no answer keys.

Homework Statement

A think uniformly charged rod of length L is positioned vertically above a large uncharged horizontal thick metal plate. The distance between the lower end of the rod and the metal plate is S.

If the total charge of the rod is q, find the charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex] on the upper surface of the metal plate directly below the rod. (Hint: First, consider only the rod and find the electric field due to he rod at a distance S directly below the rod.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the electric field due to the rod to be
[tex]E_{rod}=\int_{S}^{S+L}{\frac{kQ}{L^2z^2}dz}[/tex]
[tex]E_{rod}=-\left.\frac{kQ}{Lz}\right|^{S+L}_{S}[/tex]
[tex]E_{rod}=\frac{kQ}{S(S+L)}[/tex]

I'm not sure where to go from here. If the plate was grounded, we could use an image charge and
[tex]\sigma=\epsilon_0E_n[/tex]; is this also the right approach for the present problem, given that we're only considering the point directly below the rod?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the method of images should work here. You shouldn't need the plate to be grounded. Electrons will move to one surface leaving the other surface positively charged.

I seem to recall a formula,
[tex]\sigma = -\epsilon_0\frac{\partial V}{\partial S}[/tex]
But then you would have to calculate the potential, which might not be that easy.Edit: Another thought: The field immediately outside the conductor should be [tex]E=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}[/tex], right? So can you equate this with the other electric field expression and solve for [itex]\sigma[/itex] ?

Last edited:
I would use the formula nicksauce posted:

[tex]\sigma = -\epsilon_0\frac{\partial V}{\partial S}[/tex]

And since you know the electric field from the rod, finding the potential shouldn't be a problem..

As long as the method of image charges is appropriate, the electric field should just be the superposition of the E field I posted earlier and the E field of a negative image charge with its top at -S, correct? In which case I can use the formula I posted, [tex]\sigma=\epsilon_0E_n[/tex] (where the n subscripts denotes the normal component).

1. What is a charged rod above a metal plate?

A charged rod above a metal plate refers to a common physics demonstration in which a rod made of a material such as plastic or glass is rubbed with a cloth to create a static electric charge. When this charged rod is held above a metal plate, the charge on the rod induces an opposite charge on the surface of the metal plate.

2. Why does a charged rod attract a metal plate?

A charged rod attracts a metal plate because the opposite charges on the rod and the plate create an electric force of attraction between them. This force is stronger when the charges are closer together, which is why the plate moves towards the rod.

3. How does the distance between the charged rod and the metal plate affect the strength of the attraction?

The strength of the attraction between a charged rod and a metal plate is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the rod and plate increases, the strength of the attraction decreases.

4. Can a charged rod above a metal plate also repel the plate?

Yes, a charged rod above a metal plate can also repel the plate if the charges on the rod and plate are the same. Like charges repel each other, so if the rod and plate have the same charge, the plate will move away from the rod.

5. What is the significance of the charged rod above a metal plate demonstration?

The charged rod above a metal plate demonstration is significant because it illustrates the principles of electrostatic induction and electric forces. It also demonstrates how an electric charge can be transferred from one object to another without direct contact.