Length of the curve integral, can't solve the integral

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of a curve using integration and the algebraic steps involved in solving the problem. The final answer is given as (1/2)(e^2 - e^-2) and the conversation concludes with gratitude for the help in understanding the problem.
Prometheos
This question was on my test I have no idea how to do the middle work.

Find the length of the curve
[tex] y = \frac{1}{2}(e^x + e^{-x}) , 0 \leq x \leq 2 [/tex]

Problem set up was easy enough
[tex] L= \int_0^2 \sqrt{ 1 + \frac{1}{4}( e^{2x} -2 + e^{-2x} ) } dx [/tex]

Looking back in my notes I see that the answer is
[tex] \frac{1}{2}( e^2 - e^{-2} ) [/tex]

But, how do you get there? I think my main problem is probably the algebra behind combing the 1 and derivative of y squared.

Physics news on Phys.org
Combine the 1 and (1/4)(-2) constants under the radial. You can now rearrange into a perfect square. Remember e^(2x)=(e^x)^2.

Ah, so you get [tex] \frac{1}{4}e^
{2x} + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4}e^{-2x} [/tex]
after distributing the .25 and adding the one which is equal to
[tex] \frac{1}{4} ( e^{x} + e^{-x} )^2 [/tex]
Wow, high school algebra comes back to haunt me again.

Thanks for the help, I may have missed this problem on the test, but hopefully it won't happen again now lol

What is the length of a curve?

The length of a curve is the distance between its endpoints. It is the total length of the curve if it were to be stretched out into a straight line.

How is the length of a curve calculated?

The length of a curve is calculated using a mathematical concept called an integral. It involves dividing the curve into infinitesimally small sections and adding up the length of each section to get the total length.

Why is it difficult to solve the integral for the length of a curve?

Solving the integral for the length of a curve can be difficult because it often involves complex mathematical equations and techniques. It may require advanced knowledge of calculus and other mathematical concepts.

Can the length of a curve be measured directly?

No, the length of a curve cannot be measured directly because it is an abstract concept. It can only be calculated using mathematical equations and techniques.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks to solve the integral for the length of a curve?

There are some techniques and formulas that can be used to simplify the process of solving the integral for the length of a curve. However, these may not work for all curves and the integral may still require a significant amount of mathematical manipulation.