What is the Average Acceleration of a Car Striking a Tree at 90 km/h?

• Thread starter Gustason
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a car traveling at 90 km/h and striking a tree, causing the front end of the car to compress and the driver to come to a stop after traveling 0.86 m. The average acceleration of the driver during the collision is determined by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, which results in a value of -363.37. However, when converted to "g's" by dividing by 9.81, the answer is not accepted. The student is unsure if they made a mistake or if the discrepancy is due to rounding differences. They do not have access to the answer key to compare.
Gustason

Homework Statement

A car traveling at 90 km/h strikes a tree. The front end of the car compresses and the driver comes to rest after traveling 0.86 m. What was the average acceleration of the driver during the collision?
Express the answer in terms of "g's," where 1.00g = 9.81 m/s2

Homework Equations

a = Change in X / Change in T
Change in X = vf + vi / 2 * t

The Attempt at a Solution

I should mention that this is all done via a website and we are allowed a certain amount of leeway with rounding. I'll explain why this may or may not be important in the next few lines.
I've found the average acceleration which is -363.37 (this was accepted as the correct answer) but when I divide it by 9.81 to get -37.05 g's the answer is not accepted. I'm thinking that perhaps I made a mistake in the first part of the problem and that is influencing what I get for the g's

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the answer listed in the book?

Well I don't have the book so I don't know. Like I said in my post, this is all submitted online, I'm only told if my answer was accepted or if it wasn't. I don't know what the answer key says.

1. What is the formula for converting m/s/s to g's?

The formula for converting m/s/s to g's is g = a/9.8, where g represents the acceleration in g's and a represents the acceleration in m/s/s.

2. Why do we need to convert m/s/s to g's?

Converting m/s/s to g's is necessary because g's is a more commonly used unit of acceleration, especially in the fields of physics and engineering. It allows for easier comparison and understanding of acceleration values.

3. How do I convert a given acceleration from m/s/s to g's?

To convert a given acceleration from m/s/s to g's, simply divide the acceleration value by 9.8. The resulting value will be the equivalent acceleration in g's.

4. What is the significance of the number 9.8 in the conversion formula?

The number 9.8 in the conversion formula represents the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, which is commonly rounded to 9.8 m/s/s. This value is used as a standard reference point for converting between m/s/s and g's.

5. Can I convert any type of acceleration to g's?

Yes, any type of acceleration, whether it is linear, rotational, or angular, can be converted to g's. The important factor is to ensure that the units for acceleration are consistent and match the units used in the conversion formula.