Statistical Physics: Partition function and fermions

ExpertIn summary, the partition function for fermions takes into account the different energy levels and number of particles in a system, and follows the Pauli exclusion principle. In the example given, with 3 states and 2 fermions, the product in the partition function represents the different possible combinations of fermions in each energy state.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

The partition function for fermions is (according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partit...hanics)#Relation_to_thermodynamic_variables_2) given by:

[tex]
Z = \prod\limits_i {\left( {1 + \exp \left[ { - \beta \left( {\varepsilon _i - \mu } \right)} \right]} \right)},
[/tex]

where the product is over the different states. I cannot see how this works out correct:

Let's look at a system with 3 single-particle (energi 0, 1 and 2) states with two fermions. Each fermion can be in one state, so there is a total of 3 states. Using the above expression this should give us

[tex]
Z = \left( {1 + \exp \left[ { - \beta \left( {(0 + 1) - \mu } \right)} \right]} \right)\left( {1 + \exp \left[ { - \beta \left( {(0 + 2) - \mu } \right)} \right]} \right)\left( {1 + \exp \left[ { - \beta \left( {(1 + 2) - \mu } \right)} \right]} \right).
[/tex]

Have I understood this correctly?

Thanks in advance.Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Niles,

Yes, your understanding is correct. The partition function for fermions takes into account the different energy levels and number of particles in a system. In your example, with 3 states and 2 fermions, the first term in the product corresponds to the case where both fermions are in the lowest energy state (energy 0), the second term corresponds to one fermion in the lowest energy state and the other in the second energy state (energy 1), and the third term corresponds to both fermions in the highest energy state (energy 2). This is because fermions follow the Pauli exclusion principle and cannot occupy the same energy state.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the partition function for fermions. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is the partition function in statistical physics?

The partition function in statistical physics is a mathematical tool used to describe the statistical behavior of a system. It is a sum of all possible states of a system, weighted by their respective probabilities.

2. How is the partition function related to thermodynamic properties?

The partition function is related to thermodynamic properties through the Boltzmann factor, which is the exponential of the negative energy of a state divided by the product of the Boltzmann constant and the temperature. It allows for the calculation of thermodynamic quantities such as entropy, free energy, and average energy.

3. What is the difference between a classical and quantum partition function?

A classical partition function is used to describe the statistical behavior of a classical system, where particles are treated as distinguishable and their energy levels are continuous. A quantum partition function, on the other hand, is used for quantum systems, where particles are indistinguishable and their energy levels are discrete.

4. How are fermions treated in statistical physics?

Fermions are particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons and protons. In statistical physics, they are treated according to the Fermi-Dirac statistics, which describes their behavior in terms of occupation numbers of energy levels. Fermions follow the Pauli exclusion principle, meaning that no two fermions can occupy the same energy level at the same time.

5. What are some applications of the partition function in physics?

The partition function is used in various areas of physics, including thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. It is used to calculate thermodynamic properties, such as entropy and free energy, and to describe the behavior of particles in different systems, such as gases, solids, and plasmas. It is also used in condensed matter physics to study phase transitions and critical phenomena.