Define coefficients for system of equations with 3 variables

In summary, the homework statement is that there is a system of equations with two variables. The system is in row echelon form and can be reduced to a matrix. The system has one solution if B=-3, but is inconsistent for any other values of B. Back substitution was used to find the values of x,y,z in terms of B,C. The system has an infinite number of solutions if B=-3 and C=0.
thecokeguy

Homework Statement

I have the following system og equations:

[itex]
\left\{\begin{array}{l}
y + 2z = 1 \\
x + 4y + 3z = C \\
x + y + Bz = B
\end{array}\right.
[/itex]

a) Create the augmented matrix and reduce to row echelon form (I've already done this)
b) For which values of A and B is the system inconsistent?
c) For which values of A and B does the system have only one solution?
d) Determine the complete solution to the system for all values of A and B.

Homework Equations

The system in row echelon form:
[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 4 & 3 & C \\
0 & 1 & 2 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & \frac{B - C + 3}{B + 3}
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Earlier when solving this kind of problems with systems with 2 variables, I solved it geometrically as lines being parallel, intersecting etc. Of course this could be solved geometrically too as planes, but as I can't imagine how to do it geometrically with >3 variables, I thought I've missed something.

If someone could point me in a direction, then I'll figure out the rest myself.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, now go back of the system of equations. You got:

[tex]\left\{\begin{matrix}
x+4y+3z=C\\
y+2z=1\\
z=\frac{B-C+3}{B+3}
\end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

What if B=-3 ?

As that's not possible, I'll guess the system would be inconsistent?

thecokeguy said:
As that's not possible, I'll guess the system would be inconsistent?

Yup, you're right.

Now find x,y,z solutions and again tell me for which is inconsistent and for which values its consistent. :smile:

I'm not sure what you want... Do you want me to back substitute to get expressions for y and x too, and then define values for B and C, which results in division by 0?

thecokeguy said:
I'm not sure what you want... Do you want me to back substitute to get expressions for y and x too, and then define values for B and C, which results in division by 0?

Yes, you need to do back substitution.

But where is A ? I can't see any A in the problem.

There isn't any A... Only B and C... Don't know why

thecokeguy said:
There isn't any A... Only B and C... Don't know why

Maybe C=A ? Anyway, do the back substitution and find the values of x,y,z in terms of B,C.

njama said:
Yup, you're right.

Now find x,y,z solutions and again tell me for which is inconsistent and for which values its consistent. :smile:

I don't see the relevance as x and y would only incorporate multiples of z, which would be the same fraction and still be inconsistent for B = -3 and thereby be consistent for B not equal to -3?

thecokeguy said:
I don't see the relevance as x and y would only incorporate multiples of z, which would be the same fraction and still be inconsistent for B = -3 and thereby be consistent for B not equal to -3?

Yes, that's completely correct.

After 5 hours of searching. I finally found an example I could understand a general solution in.

[itex]
z=\frac{B-C+3}{B+3} \iff z(B+3) - B + C - 3 = 0
[/itex]

With the equation above, it's easy to pick the values for B and C.

b) No-solutions: B=-3 and C!=0
c) One-solution: B!=-3
d) Complete solution: B=-3 and C=0 ... (-4+5z, 1-2z, z)

Is this completely wrong?

That's correct again.

For d) I would rather say infinite many solutions. :smile:

Just using the problems own words... As it's written by my professor and I like high grades, that's what I useually do :P

But thanks a lot... The feedback was just what I needed and much appreciated.

thecokeguy said:
Just using the problems own words... As it's written by my professor and I like high grades, that's what I useually do :P

But thanks a lot... The feedback was just what I needed and much appreciated.

You're welcome!:approve:

What are coefficients in a system of equations with 3 variables?

Coefficients in a system of equations with 3 variables refer to the numerical values that are multiplied by each variable in a linear equation. They represent the rate of change or slope of a variable and are essential in solving the system of equations.

How many coefficients are there in a system of equations with 3 variables?

There are three coefficients in a system of equations with 3 variables, one for each variable. For example, in the equation 3x + 2y + z = 10, the coefficients are 3, 2, and 1.

What is the role of coefficients in a system of equations with 3 variables?

The coefficients determine the relationship between the variables in a system of equations. They allow us to express the equations in a simplified form and help us find the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations simultaneously.

How are coefficients determined in a system of equations with 3 variables?

Coefficients are determined by the coefficients of the corresponding variables in each equation. For example, in the system of equations 2x + 3y + 5z = 12 and 4x + 2y + 6z = 15, the coefficients of x, y, and z are 2, 3, 5 and 4, 2, 6 respectively.

Can coefficients be negative in a system of equations with 3 variables?

Yes, coefficients can be negative in a system of equations with 3 variables. Negative coefficients indicate a negative relationship between the variables, while positive coefficients indicate a positive relationship.