Consequenses of striking a Vein and an artery?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Nikolaj FS
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about researching the correspondence between acupuncture points in traditional Chinese medicine and Western anatomy. The person is specifically looking for information on the potential effects of stimulating or blocking the cephalic vein, radial recurrent artery, and lateral cutaneous nerve of the forearm. They are also seeking clarification on the location and function of these structures. The other person in the conversation points out several errors in the information provided and suggests seeking accurate anatomy knowledge before studying acupuncture. They also provide a link discussing the scientific approach to acupuncture.
Nikolaj FS
Hi there..

Currently I am researching the corrospondence between acupuncture points of traditional chinese medicine and the understand of western anatomy - and I am looking for some help here.

At the moment, the point I am focuses on is called Lung 5. The point is in the crease of elbow just lateral to the bicep tendon at the origin of the brachioradialis muscle. It branches at the radial recurrent artery and cephalic vein and the lateral cutaneous nerve of the forearm directly above the main trunk of the radial nerve.

So I am looking for information about, what possible effects there could be by stimulating/striking/blocking/pressing the:

#1 Cephalic Vein - i know that the vein goes through the deltopectoral triangle - can this affect the muscles in this area or other muscles?
#2 Radial recurrent artery
#3 Is the cutaneous nerve a part of the radial nerve? And what part of the nervous system is this nerve? Sympathic or parasympathic?

I hope you can help me

Biology news on Phys.org
"what possible effects there could be"

In my ideal world a hefty fine, revocation of any non-evidence based "license" and community service involving science in the classrooms.

I think you need to spend more time properly studying anatomy. There are more things wrong than right with the things you just wrote.

Some starting points, the origin of the brachioradialis muscle is NOT where the biceps tendon is in the cubital fossa, so I really have no idea what "point" you could possibly be talking about.

I also don't know how you have arteries branching from veins and nerves...that simply makes no sense at all.

Veins don't "affect" muscles, they drain blood back to the heart.

Pressing on the radial recurrent artery wouldn't do much...not that you could actually just compress it by pushing on the cubital fossa, since it is deep to the bicipital aponeurosis that protects it and the other contents of the cubital fossa except for the median cubital vein. If you want to know what poking at the median cubital vein does, go donate some blood. That's the most common vein they stick for drawing blood.

The cutaneous nerve? WHICH cutaneous nerve? There are lots of those.

Thank you for taking the time to read this - and yes my anatomy knowledge is not 100%, that's why i came to ask you experts :)

http://acupuncture.com/education/points/lung/lu5.htm

Here the point is show in the crease of the elbow. The standard explanation given to find this point is "On the cubital crease, on the radial side of the tendon of m. biceps brachii. Locate with the elbow slightly flexed. "

The nerve is Lateral cutaneous nerve of forearm, what i ment by branches is that it brances to volar and dorsal branch.

Excuse me for my bad english.

-Nikolaj

On the anatomical side, the line drawn in that picture corresponds best to the path of the median nerve. Regarding everything else in that link, it's pure quackery. There is just nothing right to even begin explaining how wrong it is.

This is not the place to learn acupuncture, the aim of this website is to discuss science: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=284183

1. What is the difference between striking a vein and an artery?

Striking a vein and an artery can have different consequences because they are two different types of blood vessels. Veins carry oxygen-depleted blood back to the heart, while arteries carry oxygen-rich blood away from the heart. This means that if you strike a vein, the consequences may not be as severe as striking an artery, which can lead to more significant blood loss and damage to the body.

2. What are the potential consequences of striking a vein?

Striking a vein can lead to minor bleeding and bruising at the site of the injury. In some cases, it may also cause blood to leak into the surrounding tissue, resulting in swelling and discomfort. However, striking a vein is not considered as serious as striking an artery, as the body has a better ability to control bleeding from veins.

3. How does striking an artery differ from striking a vein?

When an artery is struck, the consequences can be more severe. Arteries carry blood at high pressure, and damage to them can lead to significant blood loss, which can be life-threatening. Additionally, damage to an artery can also affect the supply of oxygen and nutrients to the tissues and organs supplied by that artery, potentially leading to tissue damage or organ failure.

4. What are the signs and symptoms of striking an artery?

Signs and symptoms of striking an artery may include rapid and severe bleeding, bright red blood, and a pulsating sensation at the injury site. The affected area may also feel numb or weak due to decreased blood flow. In severe cases, there may be signs of shock, such as low blood pressure and rapid heart rate.

5. What should I do if I accidentally strike a vein or an artery?

If you accidentally strike a vein or an artery, the first step is to apply pressure to the injury site to stop the bleeding. Elevating the injured area above the heart can also help to reduce bleeding. If the bleeding is severe or does not stop, seek immediate medical attention. It is also essential to clean and dress the wound to prevent infection. If you have struck an artery, it is crucial to seek medical attention as soon as possible to prevent serious consequences.

Back