Career change how to be realistic

In summary: I'm a computer engineer. I really enjoy it and I think it's a great career choice. Just make sure you really want it and are willing to put in the effort. Don't wait until you're 33 or 34, because then it might be too late.In summary, if you're interested in a computer engineering career, make sure you really want it and are willing to put in the effort. Don't wait until you're 33 or 34, because then it might be too late.
lucadidom82
Hi everybody,
27 years old, bored about my admin job, I really love the idea to change career patch going into mech/electric engineering but It's seems pretty hard...I used to study little physics and chemistry at school but I don't remember anything. I went to study economy but I didn't compleated my degree 'cause I suffered of depression and eating disorder..but that's the past and I feel I didn't really follow my interest..so...too late to start an engineering course..currently living in Italy...but I would move to here and study aboard..maybe UK maybe Australia 'cause USA is too espensive..I still need to improve my English and I'm working on it...I just want know if anybody went into a similar situetion..need some inspiration story guys...live is just one and I don't want have any regrets...

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am 32 and am a year into my EE program. With working full time and school full time, I'll be 36 when I'm done.

It's never too late to start. But if you are thinking about it, start now and don't wait. Otherwise you will be 32 and making this same post. ;)

On a side note; there are people much older on this board doing the exact same thing.

As a very close friend of mine says, never say no to what your heart says. You ll invariably end up regretting that you didnt listen to yourself back then.

Thanks guys...support help always...I would love be more confident and don't feel bad...some men right now are changing the world...me, closed in my room I would love to do the same...make a contribution doing something that I love...thanks again

Well, just like erok81, I am 31 and getting ready to start electrical engineering in January.

I think there comes a time in your life when you finally realize, and I mean you really finally get it, that no matter what you are doing the time is going to pass by. So it's a simple choice you have to make. Do you want to sit in your bedroom wondering how to change the world, or get out there and actually do it?

No matter what you choose to do the small fraction of your life that it takes is going to tick by anyway.

Yes I also agree that you must do what your heart want.if you want to change your career then go for it.

Go for it man, you'll regret no trying. I've been thinking the exact same thing and I'm 26 going on 27 now. I really want to start again and I'm taking initial steps like posting here and doing some research to start anew. Stick around here too, lots of nice people.

MacLaddy said:
Well, just like erok81, I am 31 and getting ready to start electrical engineering in January.

I think there comes a time in your life when you finally realize, and I mean you really finally get it, that no matter what you are doing the time is going to pass by. So it's a simple choice you have to make. Do you want to sit in your bedroom wondering how to change the world, or get out there and actually do it?

No matter what you choose to do the small fraction of your life that it takes is going to tick by anyway.

Well said, and regret is a terrible thing to have. IMO engineering is a relatively safe bet because the career prospects are good.

27 here and getting ready to go back to school myself.

1. How do I know if a career change is realistic for me?

The first step is to assess your skills, interests, and values. Consider what you are good at, what you enjoy doing, and what is important to you. Then, research the job market and see if there is a demand for your desired career. Talk to people who are currently working in that field to get a better understanding of the job and its requirements.

2. What are the risks and challenges of making a career change?

Changing careers can bring both risks and challenges. You may have to start at a lower position and salary, or you might need to go back to school to gain new skills. There may also be a period of adjustment as you learn the ropes of your new career. It's important to carefully weigh these factors and have a plan in place before making a career change.

3. Is it necessary to have a clear career goal before making a change?

Having a clear career goal can certainly make the transition smoother, but it is not always necessary. You can start by exploring different options and gaining experience in different industries or roles. This can help you discover what you truly enjoy and what you are good at, which can then lead to a more defined career goal.

4. How can I make a career change without starting from scratch?

Consider utilizing transferable skills from your current career and applying them to your new one. For example, if you have strong organizational and leadership skills, you can use them in a variety of industries. You can also leverage your network and connections to find opportunities in your desired field.

5. How do I deal with the fear and uncertainty of making a career change?

It's natural to feel fear and uncertainty when making a big change. One way to overcome this is to do your research and have a solid plan in place. This can help alleviate some of the unknowns and give you more confidence in your decision. It's also important to have a support system, whether it's friends, family, or a career coach, to help you navigate through the transition.