Why did my heart beat make the numbers on the screen look like ripples in water?

• Medical
  • Thread starter rigganator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eye Weird
In summary, the speaker experienced an unusual sensation while looking at an electronic display at a coffee shop. They describe their heart rate increasing and the numbers on the screen appearing to ripple with each heartbeat. They do not have any known illnesses or drug use and are seeking a rational explanation for this experience. One possible explanation provided is that it could be a result of eye movement and light flicker, which is not uncommon and nothing to worry about unless it happens regularly.
rigganator
Hey guys,

That's my first post here, and I couldn't find any other place online where I can ask something like that and get rational scientific explanation. Here's what happened to me today and I have no idea what would cause it.

I went to a coffee shop in afternoon to take a break from work. While I was standing in line I started to look at the electronic LED display on cashier's machine where shows how much you need to pay. Out of nowhere I start feeling my heart beat and the numbers on the screen start looking like a drop hitting a still water with each heart beat. It happened 2 times in a row. Then I shook my head off, then I looked at it again, it happened one more time and it stopped. I don't have any weird sicknesses, mental illness, and I don't do any drugs. Just went through a cold about a week ago.

Honestly it does not make any sense to me, and it freaks the crap out of me. I hope it will never happen again, but still I'm trying to find any reasonable explanation to something like that.

Any good feedback would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
Were you taking any sort of cold medicine or remedies?

Any other symptoms before or after this event occurred?

Did you have a true migraine later that day?

It may have been an effect of eye movement. Despite what your brain makes you think, your eyes are never still; they jitter about constantly. Occasionally this can produce some strange effects, especially in conjunction with certain types of lights that have their own flicker.

Long and short of it: it's not uncommon. I would not fret about it, unless it starts recurring on a regular basis.

What is the "Weird eye viewing effect"?

The "Weird eye viewing effect" is a phenomenon in which an individual experiences distorted or altered vision after staring at a particular image or pattern for an extended period of time.

What causes the "Weird eye viewing effect"?

The exact cause of the "Weird eye viewing effect" is not fully understood, but it is believed to be related to the way our eyes and brain process visual information. It may also be influenced by factors such as fatigue, eye strain, and individual differences in brain function.

How long does the "Weird eye viewing effect" last?

The duration of the "Weird eye viewing effect" can vary from person to person. Some individuals may experience it for only a few seconds, while others may continue to see the effect for several minutes or longer.

Is the "Weird eye viewing effect" harmful to the eyes?

No, the "Weird eye viewing effect" is not harmful to the eyes. However, staring at an image for an extended period of time can cause eye strain and fatigue, which may lead to temporary discomfort.

Can the "Weird eye viewing effect" be prevented?

There is no guaranteed way to prevent the "Weird eye viewing effect", but taking regular breaks from staring at the same image or pattern can help reduce the likelihood of experiencing it. Additionally, maintaining good eye health and avoiding excessive screen time may also help prevent the effect.