Solving the 411nm Wavelength Emission from Hydrogen

In summary, the question is asking which transition produces the emission of light with a wavelength of 411 nm from a hydrogen discharge. The correct answer can be found by plugging the given k and n values into the Rydberg formula and seeing which one produces the given wavelength. This method eliminates choices a, b, and e, and leaves choices c and d as possible answers.
adream

Homework Statement

Light of wavelength 411 nm is emitted from a hydrogen discharge. What transition produces this emission?

a. k = 5 to n =1
b. k = 4.5 to n = 2
c. k = 2 to n = 6
d. k = 2 to n = 3
e. k = 6 to n = 2

Homework Equations

R = (1/n^2 - 1/k^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to solve it. But I'm sure its not a, b, or e. Because n to be bigger then k to make it positive. THat left me with c and d. Someone please hint me how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just plug in the choices for k and n pairs in the formula and see which one gives you the right wavelength.

totally confused. >< can someone explain it to me.

1. What is the significance of the 411nm wavelength emission from hydrogen?

The 411nm wavelength emission from hydrogen is significant because it falls within the visible light spectrum and is one of the most intense spectral lines emitted by hydrogen. This makes it useful for a variety of applications in spectroscopy and other fields of study.

2. How is the 411nm wavelength emission from hydrogen produced?

The 411nm wavelength emission from hydrogen is produced when an electron in a hydrogen atom transitions from the n=2 energy level to the n=1 energy level. This transition releases energy in the form of a photon with a wavelength of 411nm.

3. What factors affect the intensity of the 411nm wavelength emission from hydrogen?

The intensity of the 411nm wavelength emission from hydrogen is affected by factors such as the temperature and pressure of the gas, as well as the concentration of hydrogen atoms. The presence of other elements or molecules can also affect the intensity of this emission.

4. How is the 411nm wavelength emission from hydrogen used in scientific research?

The 411nm wavelength emission from hydrogen is used in a variety of scientific research, including spectroscopy, astrophysics, and plasma physics. It can also be used as a calibration standard for instruments that measure light in the visible spectrum.

5. Can the 411nm wavelength emission from hydrogen be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the 411nm wavelength emission from hydrogen can be manipulated and controlled by adjusting the temperature, pressure, and concentration of the hydrogen gas. It can also be affected by external factors such as magnetic fields. However, the precise control of this emission is still a subject of ongoing research.